New and already had a gun pulled on me

va2ba said:
However, I really don't recommend that any one yells and screams at a man who is pointing a gun at you. You are lucky to be alive right now.

I agree. Congratulations for surving your first three days in BA.

Wow that sucks. FYI, there aren't many neighborhoods that are much safer than Palermo Soho. Recoleta is maybe a little more upscale but I think this incident might just be bad luck.

If you want some Spanish practice in the meantime I have MP3s of all of the Pimsleur Essential Spanish. It's what I use (but my Castellano is atrocious so that's not much of a recommendation).

Love and Luck!

Get into a doorman building, even if you have to share a room.

What's an FLB?

How do permanent residents go about getting the new DNI? Do you go directly to Yrigoyen? How long to get the new document?

va2ba said:
Have to agree with Steve here. You can't really get away from crime in this city. We live in a quiet neighborhood where all the people are friendly and look after each other, but things still happen.

But it really is a matter of timing. If you just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, thats all it takes.

However, I really don't recommend that any one yells and screams at a man who is pointing a gun at you. You are lucky to be alive right now.

I agree completely. You're lucky he didn't shoot you. Often times these robbers are on drugs and will shoot with no fear of the consequences. Didn't you hear about the French photographer who was shot and killed last week after resisting a robbery attempt? I have pepper spray, which I've had to use twice, but the attacker didn't have a weapon in either of the incidents . If they have a gun, just give them what they want. Nothing is worth getting shot over.

As far as Spanish schools, Lenguas Vivas is considered the most reputable. My friend studied there and took four or five hours a day classes five days a week and within a couple of months she could carry on a conversation in Castellano with complete ease.

nlaruccia said:
Didn't you hear about the French photographer who was shot and killed last week after resisting a robbery attempt?
Actually, he was stabbed to death

Actually, it was two weeks ago
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/20108-tourist-killed-plaza-san-martin.html

I'm not being a pedant for the sake of pedantry: I feel that if the story gets changed it becomes nothing more than a story. This death shocked and moved me as I'm sure it shocked and moved other BA Expats and I think we owe it to the victim and his memory to get his story right.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, what you said about feeling alone because you didn't even know how to dial the police is a really good point, I remember realising this with shock about 2 weeks into my stay, not that anything bad had happened!
The number for the tourist police where you will always find someone who speaks English is 4346 5748 or 0800 999 5000.
Their street address is Corrientes 436.
To call the emergency services (in Spanish) is a number that most Americans won't forget in a hurry, 911.

flashyashi said:
I am living in Palermo Soho but seeing how I had a man pull a gun on me as I was opening my lobby door I am considering moving.

These "lobby door" muggings are really happening more regularly these days, especially in expat-popular barios like Palermo. Although many expats know Spanish and keep a low profile, these criminals still can see that you`re foreigner. But there are also expats that run around like clowns, talking loud...then it`s really just a matter of days until you get mugged.

Yes, the happy days are over and you have to develope some sort of 6th sense for your surroundings...look around before you enter your lobby, keep keys in hand, if you see someone lurking around just walk on to the next corner and look for something that`s open (kiosko or something)...and i would never fight against the guy that tries to rob me (at least i`d try not to do that). we know what happend to this poor french guy a couple of weeks ago, right?

i`m really happy about my portero and night security guard here. yes, it costs more but i don`t need to worry so much about getting mugged next to my home.

anyway, I`m glad that you`re still alive! good and more luck in the future!

Thanks for the phone numbers. Its not like I was trying not to give him what he wanted or anything like that but I knew my best best was to be visable and also I was freaking out on him because I really didn't know what he was saying and in this case that is the reason he left.

Back