New and already had a gun pulled on me

flashyashi

Registered
Hello All,

My name is Ashley I just moved here 3 days ago from sunny Scottsdale, Arizona. So far I don't know anyone and my Spanish is basic at best currently. I was hoping someone could recommend a good language school. Currenlty I am living in Palermo Soho but seeing how I had a man pull a gun on me as I was opening my lobby door I am considering moving. I stood up to him and just started yelling at him in English and he backed off and left thankfully but still I felt so alone because I had no one to call and I don't know how to dial anywhere yet anyway here and my spanish is so bad there is no way I could report it to the police. I guess I just feel totally like a fish out of water right now. Any suggestions to good neighborhoods and spanish programs would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks all,

Ashley

Hi Ash

I’m sorry that you have had that experience happen to you and I’m glad you are ok. Re Spanish classes I can highly recommend VOS http://www.vosbuenosaires.com/en/. I have always maintained that you can either have a natural aptitude for languages or not and I definitely don't. However they have taught me enough to get by and also enough to of had a baby here (nothing scarier I can tell you than having your first child by unplanned c section in room where no one speaks English, but I still managed to conjugate my verbs haa haa). If you give them a call speak to Magdalena, she is a very nice lady who will defo help you out. Hope that helps and hope you have a much better experience here going forward.

flashyashi said:
Hello All,

My name is Ashley I just moved here 3 days ago from sunny Scottsdale, Arizona. So far I don't know anyone and my Spanish is basic at best currently. I was hoping someone could recommend a good language school. Currenlty I am living in Palermo Soho but seeing how I had a man pull a gun on me as I was opening my lobby door I am considering moving. I stood up to him and just started yelling at him in English and he backed off and left thankfully but still I felt so alone because I had no one to call and I don't know how to dial anywhere yet anyway here and my spanish is so bad there is no way I could report it to the police. I guess I just feel totally like a fish out of water right now. Any suggestions to good neighborhoods and spanish programs would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks all,

Ashley

You had a gun pulled on you and you're still worried about your spanish? You must be one tough brod.

btw...you're lucky you don't have a hole in your head.

well I am tough but yeah I would prefer people not pull guns on me. Guess my inner New York girl came out and I figured if I made enough noise and fuss he'd move on and look for an easier target.

Even if you move, you will stall face the same danger everywhere in BA.

I'm sorry, but that's just the reality.

Though you might be safe waiting in line to enter a theatre on Corrientes or outside an ice cream parlor at midnight, when you are entering your apartment building alone you are facing a far greater risk, even in "safe" areas like Recoleta.

I know from experience.

that makes me sad to hear. I am always pretty leary in foreign countries but I still wasn't prepared for something like this. Yes I will need to get some sort of weaponry other then my anger. I seriously just stared him down as he was leaving and kept screaming at him I was sooo pissed off. I have traveled all over the world and never had any issues like this. Just sucks because I live here alone and now I will have to be constantly worried.

flashyashi said:
I have traveled all over the world and never had any issues like this. Just sucks because I live here alone and now I will have to be constantly worried.

With a bit of additional knowledge you will be less worried, but you will always need to be aware (if not on guard).

The party's over, at least as far as the carefree expat life in BA is concernerd.

Have to agree with Steve here. You can't really get away from crime in this city. We live in a quiet neighborhood where all the people are friendly and look after each other, but things still happen.

But it really is a matter of timing. If you just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, thats all it takes.

However, I really don't recommend that any one yells and screams at a man who is pointing a gun at you. You are lucky to be alive right now.

Back