New and already had a gun pulled on me

honestly if he had looked drugged out I would of maybe handled it differently but he looked perfectly normal and I was throwing a fit and telling him I had no idea what he wanted in English so that is why he left apparently who knows.

if you're worried about security, I'd look in to Puerto Madero. For some reason its not very popular with posters on this site but it is probably the safest place you can live in the city. Bit like the green zone.

PhilipDT said:
if you're worried about security, I'd look in to Puerto Madero. For some reason its not very popular with posters on this site but it is probably the safest place you can live in the city. Bit like the green zone.

I think the feeling is that Puerto Madero is just its own little universe, largely unrelated to the rest of BA - like a green zone, exactly. Some people might want that, but most people that move down, to live, want some semblance of a vaguely authentic porteño life, I would think, not to be holed up in some artifice or bubble. Of course, with crime being what it is, maybe attitudes on that are changing.

I am sorry about your experience, I do sympathise. I had a bad one in my first few weeks too. I guess you are understandably suffering from shock. Look after yourself and don't panic. Give it time and life will move on and those memories will fade and confidence will come back.

Spanish classes are great for meeting people, but I would say private lessons are better value. I hope you can soon make friends with some native speakers.

Here are my suggestions to minimize being attacked as you enter your apartment building:

When walking always walk past the door by about 20 meters. Then turn around and go back toward the door. Before you get to the door, look back to see if anyone who just past you has aslo reversed direction. If they have keep walking and stop at the first business that is open and wait.

If you are coming home by taxi and there is anyone hanging around the door ask the driver to wait. "Hay personas no conosco a la puerta. Tengo miedo. Puedo esperar un minuto, por favor? Hasta ellos vayan." ("There are people at the door I don't know. I'm afraid. Can I wait a minute, please? Until they leave.") You can ask almost anyone how to pronounce "ellos" and "vayan" the way Argentines do. Write them on a piece of paper, point to them and ask, "Como se dice esta palabra, por favor?"

The driver won't want to wait too long, so you might also be prepared to ask "Mirame obrar la puerta, por favor." (Watch me open the door, please.")

Always have the door key in your hand as you approach the door so you'll never have search for your keys in your purse in front of the door. In the next few days pay attention to people as they enter apartment buildings. It's amazing how fast they get in and close the door behind them.

PhilipDT said:

AlexanderB said:
I think the feeling is that Puerto Madero is just its own little universe, largely unrelated to the rest of BA - like a green zone, exactly. Some people might want that, but most people that move down, to live, want some semblance of a vaguely authentic porteño life, I would think, not to be holed up in some artifice or bubble. Of course, with crime being what it is, maybe attitudes on that are changing.

Without getting into Puerto Madero (although I agree with Alexander), there are a variety of non-expat barrios where crime is far less of an issue; think Villa Crespo. I personally live in an area few here would recommend - Once, border Barrio Norte - use my iPhone on the street frequently, and have almost never had an issue. If you move, consider a neighborhood where you can blend in and just "go with the flow".

Steve is right about closing the door quickly - it'll also be a sign of your knowing how to do as the locals do.

If you're interested, I offer Spanish conversation - which includes grammar and vocabulary basics - out of my school in Barrio Norte (one block from Santa Fe, between the bulnes and agüero Subte stations...

Sorry about that "bad landing" in Buenos Aires; I've had some real eye-openers too. But it's still a wonderful town.

- Bob Haskell

I wont cover security, I think there is some great advice here. Truly sorry to hear about your experience, I hope its the first and the last! Ill give you my point of view on Spanish learning.

Be very careful when choosing your Spanish school. There are good and bad (mostly bad) and generally the value for money is poor. I would recommend perhaps looking in to one of the university courses (aka UBA). If you are hell bent on the tourist school option then consider the advice here and pay particular attention to the number of posts (plenty of people from the schools are giving the recommendations on this site also).

After a period of time once you have a few of the basics nailed, if you can afford it invest in a good private teacher and/or intercambio partners. If you do look for a private teacher, I think anything over 70 pesos an hour you are being ripped off. My teacher is fantastic, very well qualified and charges me 65 an hour. I know there are cheaper (plenty around 40 pesos an hour and less) but I have tried others and think she is worth every peso.

This is my opinion, obviously others will have theirs. PM me if you want further info of the school to avoid (based on my direct personal experience) or anything else.

If I were you I would move to other areas like Caballito, since there are less foreigners living there to atract thieves.
It is a nice place to live too.

Back