New At Rio Soup Kitchen: Argentines

Like the lady says in the article: everyone should be fed. It's not easy for the Argentine fans to celebrate their team at this time of economy, so hats off to them.

... As for Argentines eating in soup kitchens... if they're for the poor, they should be reserved for the poor... but if it's just a place to get a cheap meal and nobody is being left hungry, I don't see the big deal. ...
As it says in the article that started the whole thing:

"The state-funded Citizen Restaurant in downtown Rio is accustomed to serving a balanced meal at an unbeatable price to about 5,000 poor residents of this city each day."

Are a number of poor Brazilians cheated of their meal when tourists take their meal in a state-funded restaurant meant for the poor?

As it says in the article that started the whole thing:

"The state-funded Citizen Restaurant in downtown Rio is accustomed to serving a balanced meal at an unbeatable price to about 5,000 poor residents of this city each day."

Are a number of poor Brazilians cheated of their meal when tourists take their meal in a state-funded restaurant meant for the poor?

The Brazilian government waste more than 10bn USD on football stadiums (some in areas with no football teams) and very little else where infrastructure, health, security or education would all have been better targets and we are wimpering on about a few hundred tourists eating a cheap meal?

The Brazilian government waste more than 10bn USD on football stadiums (some in areas with no football teams) and very little else where infrastructure, health, security or education would all have been better targets and we are wimpering on about a few hundred tourists eating a cheap meal?

Come on, do you really think that those of us who are opposed to tourists eating at a restaurant meant for the disadvantaged are unaware of this? That's not what we're talking about in this thread.

But in case anyone is, in fact, unaware, here's a great (and depressing as all hell) introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Come on, do you really think that those of us who are opposed to tourists eating at a restaurant meant for the disadvantaged are unaware of this? That's not what we're talking about in this thread.

But in case anyone is, in fact, unaware, here's a great (and depressing as all hell) introduction: https://www.youtube....h?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Perspective. A lost quality here.

True we are artfully adept at completely losing perspective, but I think our greatest talent is a keen ability to take an article with a minimal amount of facts and extrapolate an entire series of sweeping conclusions from it, and then turn those baseless conclusions into debates to the death.

Case in point: thus far we have no hard facts on how said Comedor is funded, on whom they offer to feed, on the income level of the Argentines that went there... but nevertheless we are cunningly able to draw sweeping conclusions from it about Argentines being or not being cheapskates, about the allocation of resources in the Brazilian general budget, about the global economy...

Whatever accusations might be levied against us, being overly cautious should not be one of them.

True we are artfully adept at completely losing perspective, but I think our greatest talent is a keen ability to take an article with a minimal amount of facts and extrapolate an entire series of sweeping conclusions from it, and then turn those baseless conclusions into debates to the death.

Case in point: thus far we have no hard facts on how said Comedor is funded, on whom they offer to feed, on the income level of the Argentines that went there... but nevertheless we are cunningly able to draw sweeping conclusions from it about Argentines being or not being cheapskates, about the allocation of resources in the Brazilian general budget, about the global economy...

Whatever accusations might be levied against us, being overly cautious should not be one of them.

I will note, however, that while the WSJ's editorial department is justly considered a partisan sewer, its news department and its reporters have earned high regard.

Money spent on stadiums correlated against previous stadium usage in the same areas indicates fairly clearly that these stadia are white elephants.

Wasted money. Plenty of poor pitched pieces on the internet from apologists who consider the lifetime spend of the Dilma presidency vs 11bn spent on the world cup on poorly thought out stadia, comms and other associated vanity projects over the course of a couple of years. No one mentioned that they missed their own fiscal expenditure goals by 5bn in 2013! The widest margin ever. I wonder were some of those billions went.

As ever, expenditure is meaningless when not tracked against income.

Perspective. A lost quality here.

And now I'm reminded of why I never get into these discussions. God forbid someone log in at baexpats and decide to comment on the original post and nothing else--clearly this indicates a lack of perspective!! It certainly couldn't indicate a lack of desire to discuss the greater organizational corruption of FIFA and the Brazilian government, a subject which has been discussed to death already, could it? :rolleyes:

Back