New DNI Required?

jimdepalermo

Registered
Leaving Argentina at Ezeiza last month, the migraciones agent told me I needed to obtain a new DNI by the end of March. I replied that all the information I had seen indicated that new DNIs were being issued only to replace lost/stolen/damaged documents. But the agent insisted. Said I should go to an Argentine consulate abroad or I wouldn't be allowed re-entry. I explained that I was returning in mid-February and could deal with the trámite here when I returned.

I asked if I could apply in any Renaper office or needed to go to the hell hole at 25 de Mayo. Reply: foreigners can go to 25 de Mayo only.

When I got back last week, I checked the Ministry of Interior site and found no such requirement published online. Also tried to request a turno at 25 de Mayo, but the system refuses it based on my 94-series document. I sent an online inquiry but haven't yet received a response (and don't really expect one).

Does anyone know about a new requirement to replace old-format documents with new ones before March 31? Any tricks to getting a turno at 25 de Mayo?

It doesn't accept the verification code at the end, anyone else have this trouble?

I believe only permanent residents are eligible for the "new" DNI.

When I made the turno online for mine I was asked if I had permenent residency before I could proceed.

And I only wanted one in order to get the plastic card version of the DNI...so I wouldn't have to carry the FLB.

The last time I visited the site it was clear the new DNI was optional.

Whats an FLB?

How do permanent residents go about getting the new DNI? Do you go directly to Yrigoyen? How long to get the new dicument? THANKS

chris said:
Whats an FLB?

How do permanent residents go about getting the new DNI? Do you go directly to Yrigoyen? How long to get the new dicument? THANKS

You have to go on-line www.migraciones.gov.ar and request a "turno on-line"

They are about 1 month behind. I requested my turno on February 2nd and it's for March 7th.

Good luck.

Do you have a choice of dates? Or do they tell you without giving an option? Any idea how long to get the document? Thanks

Steveinbsas, I'm a permanent resident with the (for lack of a better description) "little brown book" DNI. This is the first I've heard about the "new" DNI. I'm perfectly satisfied with said document, which means I'd prefer NOT having to get a new DNI. Thus, from your post, I'm assuming it is NOT a requirement to get a new DNI, that getting a new DNI is optional for permanent residents. Am I correct in my assumption? I hope this is the case. Thanks.

I am checking with an immigration lawyer on this. I'll post his response.

JoeGillis said:
Steveinbsas, I'm a permanent resident with the (for lack of a better description) "little brown book" DNI. This is the first I've heard about the "new" DNI. I'm perfectly satisfied with said document, which means I'd prefer NOT having to get a new DNI. Thus, from your post, I'm assuming it is NOT a requirement to get a new DNI, that getting a new DNI is optional for permanent residents. Am I correct in my assumption? I hope this is the case. Thanks.
yes Joe,as fas we know at the moment it,s not obligatory,although i,ve just done mine as my book is almost in shreds!!!:confused:

Back