New DNI is not required for perm residents

chris

Registered
A friend's wife (she is a native Spanish speaker) called the immigration people and asked if it is true that permanent residents MUST have the new DNI. The answer was NO. Take a look here. I believe this link has already been cited on BAexpats:

http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/debo_cambiar.htm

This is the key phrase:

No es obligatorio el cambio del DNI que tenés por el nuevo DNI, ya que si está en buenas condiciones y contiene las actualizaciones que establece la ley, ningún DNI en circulación PIERDE VALIDEZ.

What I don't understand is the phrase:

y contiene las actualizaciones que establece la ley,

chris said:
What I don't understand is the phrase:
y contiene las actualizaciones que establece la ley,

"y contiene las actualizaciones que establece la ley" means "as long as it's (your DNI) is updated according to the current regulations / laws (that apply to you)"

I would take this to mean that as long as your DNI is updated to note your cambio de categoria (from temp to permanent) residency, your marital status (soltero to casado and or divorciado, etc) your current domicilio, then you are NOT required by law to get the new DNI.

I have had a DNI for 4 years. However when I got my permanent residency and I went to the registro de las personas on Hipólito Yrigoyen 952 to get the "cambio de categoría" updated to permanent resident, they wouldn't update it because they said the DNI was in bad condition, therefore I MUST apply for a new DNI. Hope this helps.

Just for the record, what exactly is needed to apply for the new DNI if you have the old one and want to update it? Only the old DNI or are we talking mounds of paperwork and photocopies (again)?

I would think that at some point everyone would need to go to the new DNI, otherwise what is the point of issuing a NEW DNI. While some people in the government seem to be confused about the whole thing, I doubt they allow the old DNIs to be used forever.

The official website says that they DO allow the old DNIs to be used indefinitely.

Just to complicate things, when we renewed our visa and DNI, we were told that my daughter has to get a new DNI before she turns 17. We on the contrary, don't need a new one.
When a 16 year old Argentine friend traveled with us on buquebus she needed a new DNI to leave the country...

So you were told that YOU (adults) didn't need the new DNI but your daughter (a minor) DID. Sounds like a lot of contradictions.

chris said:
So you were told that YOU (adults) didn't need the new DNI but your daughter (a minor) DID. Sounds like a lot of contradictions.

indeed. I asked why but they couldn't tell. We don't have a permanent visa, we are in our 3th year- temporary visa.

Because all minor children are required to update their DNI at the age of 16. This is nothing new. And any case of updating or replacing the DNI will require the new DNI.

surfing said:
Because all minor children are required to update their DNI at the age of 16. This is nothing new. And any case of updating or replacing the DNI will require the new DNI.

I see. So what is the status of a DNI that needs updating?

Back