New Electric Bill Arrived: And The Total Is....

My husband leaves air conditioners and lights on constantly. It does not occur to him to turn off the lights.

More than the bills. You should remind him of the extreme poverty in Africa and Asia and how billions of people on this planet are without electricity and clean drinking water - perhaps that would awaken his conscience?

More than the bills. You should remind him of the extreme poverty in Africa and Asia and how billions of people on this planet are without electricity and clean drinking water - perhaps that would awaken his conscience?

Conscience? Ceviche, my husband is Argentine, he has no conscience. (jaja somewhat of a joke, but not really. He works in oil, what can I say, they aren't the most "lets take care of the planet" type of guys in that industry!)

What the world needs is more people living consciously, being aware of what is going on. Then, and only then, will we see change.

I checked the bill today.
I was wrong, it was so high because last month I didn' t pay it.

My appartment is big with high sealing and an administrator who is always trying to save money on the central heating so, i had to buy ac hot/cold for every room because children were getting a cold all the time.

Clarifying, my mistake means that even I never has subsidies, the rise on my bill was 100%.

Yes but here people don't even think of that -- they are so used to having cheap heating / cooling bills it doesn't even cross their mind.

SO THIS!! I actually got into a rather heated (pun intended;) discussion with a friend of mine about this. She 100% believe it is her right to use unlimited heat, light, water etc and pay less than the cost of a meal for all 3 on a monthly basis. I pointed out that in every other area of the world, those things are EXPENSIVE and people adjust their lifestyles accordingly. It's 20 degrees (C natch) outside? Put on a sweater, don't crank your heat up. Here you see the porteros hosing down the sidewalk for 20 min using how many liters of water without thinking twice. Or people that leave the lights/heat/AC on running 24/7. And then they have the audacity to complain about the costs (which are still really, really low).

Unfortunately I think the wake up call is going to be painful for a lot of people but it's way, way overdue!

Especially here people (rightfully) complain about companies that externalize parts of their costs; but when it's about their own consumption of resources, that argument is not considered a valid anymore... The best way to "create conciousness" is just to get rid of these subsidies completely. If people require help to be able to obtain basic services, use social benefits for it but don't subsidize consuming more scarce resources.

SO THIS!! I actually got into a rather heated (pun intended;) discussion with a friend of mine about this. She 100% believe it is her right to use unlimited heat, light, water etc and pay less than the cost of a meal for all 3 on a monthly basis. I pointed out that in every other area of the world, those things are EXPENSIVE and people adjust their lifestyles accordingly. It's 20 degrees (C natch) outside? Put on a sweater, don't crank your heat up. Here you see the porteros hosing down the sidewalk for 20 min using how many liters of water without thinking twice. Or people that leave the lights/heat/AC on running 24/7. And then they have the audacity to complain about the costs (which are still really, really low).

Unfortunately I think the wake up call is going to be painful for a lot of people but it's way, way overdue!

It's actually quite cheap everywhere. Think of the value we get from electricity. A 1 horse power motor uses 750 watts. That's a horse! Abundant cheap electric power is the wonder of the modern age.

The main problem is not to cancel the subsidies. The issue I think is that the President had vacation at the estancia of one of the owners of the electric companies and, after that, they went beyond to cancel the subsidies because my bill had a 100% rise.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1883765-quien-es-joseph-lewis-el-polemico-magnate-ingles-que-alojo-a-macri-en-la-patagonia

So, the President had vacation for free, used his helicpter for free, i hope he didn't sign the decree with the decree with mine 100% electricity rise for free...

I would like to remember you that Boudou is procesado for a lot less:
http://www.infobae.com/2016/02/05/1788026-procesaron-amado-boudou-recibir-dadivas

The judge described the same behaviour (or less) than the "vacation" of the President as brives.

Look bajo, many things here are quite expensive, but energy and transportation are ridiculously cheap. I know you are paying quite a lot, but for 250kwh per month I paid 22 pesos before, now is 50! This is a joke and president doesn't have to be bribed to realize, that the price should go up (however, I doubt he personally deals with every single thing that happens here).

Demand is ascending due to too cheap electricity and additional electricity will demand huge investments. Highering the price will slower the increase of usage and force people to think, how they are using resources.

It is absurd to pay billions of dollars if you can just lower the demand. Social transfers should be focused on other stuff than unlimited running of TV and aire...

Back