New Electric Bill Arrived: And The Total Is....

Ok, the new bill arrived. It is about 2500 pesos per month. It means 5000 pesos where I used to pay 1300 without subsidies.

Ok, the new bill arrived. It is about 2500 pesos per month. It means 5000 pesos where I used to pay 1300 without subsidies.

Sorry to ask, but are you growing cannabis in your basement?? How much kwh are you spending per month? If I calculate your price with my data on the bill, you should use around 7500 kwh per month. Like a small aluminium factory...

Maybe he likes Air Conditioning. I use about 600kw per month in winter and 3000kw per month in summer and that's just with one 5tn unit.

ouch :( I don't really get how come electricity bills that did not have subsidies before have increased at the same rate than those that still had a subsidized service.

Bajo-cero2 -- if you are living in a house that may make sense, except that there hasn't been need for heat nor A/C for the majority of the last month (unless you have A/C running constantly which may be the case if you have an office in your home). It may be cheaper to update your A/Cs to the least consuming model than continue paying the bill you got! Also setting the A/C at 24 or 25 really reduces the bill:

Si uno pone el aire acondicionado en 20 grados en vez de 24, consume 30 por ciento más de energía, el equivalente a una heladera más funcionando”, explicó Dores. Esto se debe a que estos equipos, pasada cierta temperatura, fuerzan mucho más los motores y disparan el consumo.

A modo de ejemplo, el uso de 45 minutos de un aire acondicionado de 3000 frigorías consume lo mismo que 50 horas de una lámpara incandescente, 12 horas de una heladera con freezer y 15 de un televisor. Según un informe de la entidad, una heladera con freezer funcionando 24 horas por día consume en el bimestre 100 kilowatts por hora (kWh), mientras que un aire acondicionado, utilizándolo cinco horas al día, gasta 390 kWh.

We have an electric caldera -- the temperature gauge was faulty, we got it replaced and our bill reduced dramatically -- you might want to start checking to see if you have a power sucking appliance around, like a caldera or maybe your freezer needs de-icing, fridges will really start consuming way too much if the freezer is blocked up with ice -- and of course older models of all appliances, washing machines, fridges, tvs etc all consume an awful lot more power.

sync girl

excellent advise.

what you have suggested is most likely the case in his place.

I'm sorry that whole setting the thermostat to 24 or 25 thing that is parroted in the media, in PSAs, at points of sale, etc, is hilarious.

Um no shit. The colder you want your room the more energy it takes to get there. Just like if you set your fridge thermostat for 7c you'll save money vs 1c.

I'm sorry that whole setting the thermostat to 24 or 25 thing that is parroted in the media, in PSAs, at points of sale, etc, is hilarious.

Um no shit. The colder you want your room the more energy it takes to get there. Just like if you set your fridge thermostat for 7c you'll save money vs 1c.
And to keep that room at a constant temperature for longer periods, some insulation is required, properly fitted double-paned windows wouldn't hurt either... but we all know that that's next to impossible to find.

Builders don't factor in R-values or heating/cooling costs; another one of those 'es lo q hay' cowboy characteristics.

Yes but here people don't even think of that -- they are so used to having cheap heating / cooling bills it doesn't even cross their mind. My husband leaves air conditioners and lights on constantly. It does not occur to him to turn off the lights. I often come downstairs around 7am and don't go back up to our bedroom until late in the day, only to discover that he has left the lights on and the air conditioning blasting since he left at 8 in the morning. Same with if I am the first to go to bed -- if I don't turn off the air conditioning in the living room, it just gets left on, all night. So people really do need some re-educating on the matter here, that is why it is getting repeated by the media, and incessantly.

Back