New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

sergio said:
From my own perspective, I have not visited Brazil in several years as I don't care to pay for the visa, same with Chile. As a permanent resident of a Mercosur country it seems very unfair to me that I should have to pay for a visa when I live here!

If you have an Argentina resident DNI you do not have to use your American or other foreign passport when you go to Mercosur countries.

fifilafiloche said:
2 nails in the coffin of Coherence.

The first one supported the idea that putting entry barreers for citizens of a wealthier nation wouldnt make sense because of the dire "need of resources", the second one supports the denial of the entry of Canadians who have no reason to settle in a country with lower welfare and proved their means to feed the us american tourist industry without working for the time of the Visa. Some people have logics that Logic doesn t understand.

This fails to explain as well how canadians can be refused freedom of mouvement with their direct neighbour and not in Argentina, thousands of miles away. Having an asian background would have a different profiling signification North and South? Does this mean that every US American with philippine roots is a potential economic danger ?

But thanks for the red flag image, for some of us it was difficult to understand this elaborated vocabulary and it s so decorative. The hammer and sickle symbols caracterising a closed world fearing foreign infiltration are missing tho:p

Can we arrange a BAExpats.org fifilafiloche vs. orwellian crazy posting cage match? That's it, I'm starting the thread "Why the US is the greatest country ever!"...

You think the USA is difficult for Canadians to enter? I've been hassled every time when I go to Canada by their people. Like I would really want to move from Los Angeles to Toronto. The Canadian customs people act like I'm coming there to steal their toques and Molson XXX.

fifilafiloche said:
Does this mean that every US American with philippine roots is a potential economic danger ?

Your mentioning of this made me think about an article published by Clarín about the Canadian gunned down along the Costanera several weeks ago. (Anyone know what the result of the investigation was?)

My favorite quote from the article: "Tenía un pasaporte canadiense, pero era filipino y hacía dos semanas que estaba en Buenos Aires." I mean, that would be like finding me dead on the street with my U.S. passport, and saying, "He had a U.S. passport, but he was German and he had been in Buenos Aires for two weeks." Just because I'm of German ancestry and look kinda German doesn't make me German.

Just a slightly off-topic observation.. ;-) [FYI: I know he was allegedly born in the Philippines. However, I know a few people who were born in other countries and were subsequently adopted by people from another country. For example, my Canadian friend was born in the U.S., but was adopted by Canadians and considers herself Canadian. Identity is tricky.]

mendozanow said:
If you have an Argentina resident DNI you do not have to use your American or other foreign passport when you go to Mercosur countries.

Sorry, but you do have to use your passport if you are American or non-Mercusor citizen, even if you have a DNI.

Specially in Brazil, where all US Citizens (entrering w/ a US Passport) must apply for and get a visa before entering that country.

ssr said:
Can we arrange a BAExpats.org fifilafiloche vs. orwellian crazy posting cage match? That's it, I'm starting the thread "Why the US is the greatest country ever!"...

I think you are on to something here, will it be televised? I'd pay to see it.

Only if you give the cash to a humanitarian association ;)

And here is the menu :

-Patriotism as a vector of integration for expatriates.
or
- Ethics of globalization.
or
- The legacy of Baby Boomers in history.

Anyways, my vote goes for that entry tax.

fifilafiloche said:
2 nails in the coffin of Coherence.

The first one supported the idea that putting entry barreers for citizens of a wealthier nation wouldnt make sense because of the dire "need of resources", the second one supports the denial of the entry of Canadians who have no reason to settle in a country with lower welfare and proved their means to feed the us american tourist industry without working for the time of the Visa. Some people have logics that Logic doesn t understand.

Logic? I didn't know the word existed in Argentina. Especially when "A government official said last year that the reciprocity fee “would not lead even a single person to not visit the country.” Another case of logic doesn't understand?

Hope you have some more nails laying around because the tourism industry in Argentina is gonna need some...

Air Canada use to fly daily direct from Toronto to Buenos Aires that has now been cut to every other day via SCL.

All I can say is poor is the country who's survival depends on another.

fifilafiloche said:
This fails to explain as well how canadians can be refused freedom of mouvement with their direct neighbour and not in Argentina, thousands of miles away. Having an asian background would have a different profiling signification North and South? Does this mean that every US American with philippine roots is a potential economic danger ?

Refused freedom of movement? It's called refused entry with probable cause. Every country in the world has that right including Argentina. The only difference is Argentina will not refuse anyone as long as they pay the entry fee. So it's not about national security or illegal immigration, it's about money.

Canada/USA/ Australia: visa application fee
Argentina: entry fee

See the difference? Or do you see only what you want to see?

fifilafiloche said:
But thanks for the red flag image, for some of us it was difficult to understand this elaborated vocabulary and it s so decorative. The hammer and sickle symbols caracterising a closed world fearing foreign infiltration are missing tho:p

Your welcome. I thought the thread could use a splash of colour ;)

So it's 130 dollars for a 10 year visa. Really, not the biggest deal and quite reasonable. It's over 100 USD for a 1 year visa to India.

However, I do think it will impact short-term tourism. Btwn the rise in airfares (this trip was 1400 USD), this new entry fee and the rise in prices, Buenos Aires isn't quite the bargain it once was. So for a couple to come for a week, they could easily spend $2500 USD just getting to/into the country.

Will be interesting to track tourism numbers over the next year.

2GuysInPM said:
Sorry, but you do have to use your passport if you are American or non-Mercusor citizen, even if you have a DNI.

Specially in Brazil, where all US Citizens (entrering w/ a US Passport) must apply for and get a visa before entering that country.

That may be true for Brazil (have you actually tried to enter Brazil with just your DNI?), but a DNI for a foreigner avoids the need to pay the recprocity fee at the Santiago airport in Chile, I have firsthand experience with that.

Back