New Family In Ba

I always refer to you as the guy from Fargo. I totally get the language precision part but it's hard since we really don't have a proper word for us considering that our country has no actual name. Not that it would matter to Argentines. They'd still use the word I dread so much, the y word.

I wonder what they would say if we started calling all of them Santafesinos. They'd surely start correcting us and not many would get it. "Yanqui" "Gallegos" I just shake my head.

Some use estadounidense, but that sounds clumsy to me. Recently, in Patagonia, some Italians were shocked when I told them that Argentines commonly refer to them all as "Tanos."

One thing I should say is that while Martinez/San Isidro is a little less dense than some areas of Capital it's not exactly suburbia. The houses may be larger but the properties are small so if you're really after outdoor green space with generous lawns you need to go to Nordelta and the barrio cerrados -- most of those places started precisely as weekend getaways so the lot size is much more generous. You'll absolutely need two cars if you live in one of the barrio cerrados, and I'd even say you'd probably want two if you were in the Zona Norte. In the barrio cerrados while you may think the surroundings are pretty your spouse will go insane being trapped there with basically nowhere to go, a car is an absolute must and both of you will just have to get used to crazy traffic if wherever you're coming from doesn't have it. I just think ugh, with a couple of kids doing activities you end up spending half your day chaufffering people around.

La Lucila is most likely the other place that LaCoqueta was thinking of. It's an area with very nice houses but again, let me explain, it's not suburbia with enormous green lawns. Your neighbour's house is going to be backing yours pretty closely. I like the Acasuso area as well.

But look, again I underline, there's not really somewhere out there with an international bubble of expat families sending to Lincoln. Contact the school. I'll be surprised if 15% of the student body is foreigners. And if most of those are here for 18-24 month contracts what does it matter, these aren't really going to be friends. Argentines can be difficult to get to know but it is true, at least if your kids get Argentine friends they will be more accepted and those are friendships that are likely to be deeper than with international kids who are just biding their time until they get to go home.

From what I've seen from people working in the embassies they tend to get placed in apartments in Recoleta / Palermo areas. If they have kids a lot go for Belgrano. And then yes there are a few that go for the northern suburbs. Contact the school. They are your best resource for finding out where to live. And if they don't recommend anything contact your embassy.
I was just checking out the homes in the Nordelta area and they are beautiful and so is that whole neighborhood, but they must have a huge mosquito problem with all the creeks and rivers and etc.

Look at this home, WOW, and fairly priced too.

I was just checking out the homes in the Nordelta area and they are beautiful and so is that whole neighborhood, but they must have a huge mosquito problem with all the creeks and rivers and etc.

Hi Thank Big Al. Finally and answer to the question I originally started with... Looks like a nice neighborhood indeed. The issue which I my have is commuting to the school and back. But we will take a look at it anyway.
Thanks!

Uri

Note to Uri: if you go to the mercado libre page in the link Big Al provided and click on the word "Tigre" just below the yellow mercado libre banner, you will be redirected to all of the homes foe rent in Tigre on ML (see below).

Volver a la categoría Inmuebles > Casas > Alquiler > Tigre > Tigre

This search will display houses in the delta that are located on islands, so you will probably want to refine the search.

The houses on stilts are usually (if not always) on islands, but they are interesting to see, especially by boat.

The commute from Tigre is grueling unless you ride in a private microbus, but that might not make it any easier to get the kids to the Lincoln school unless the van is willing to make a stop there, as well as transport children.

Whoever suggested Belgrano R as a neighborhood with homes that is relatively close to the Lincoln School actually provided a very good answer to the question you "originally started with." It is not a gated community, but it is certainly worth considering.

I would definitely look to be on a train line…that drive is BRUTAL...
I heard a rumor once about a ferry from the northern suburbs heading to the center. Does that actually exist?

mmoon,

a ferry does exist. i've never taken it but here's a link:
http://www.proa-urbana.com.ar

Service M-F

I always refer to you as the guy from Fargo. I totally get the language precision part but it's hard since we really don't have a proper word for us considering that our country has no actual name. Not that it would matter to Argentines. They'd still use the word I dread so much, the y word.

I wonder what they would say if we started calling all of them Santafesinos. They'd surely start correcting us and not many would get it. "Yanqui" "Gallegos" I just shake my head.

Yanqui doesn't particularly bother me except that I'm a Dodger fan.

Nordelta is a country, the house Big Al posted is on Nordelta st but is located in Tigre. Which is not where you will want to be located - (cute town but way too far of a commute).

If you are set on living in a country, there are TONS as you head towards Pilar. This has a good list: http://www.pilar.com.ar/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105:listado-de-countries-y-barrios-cerrados&Itemid=63 Since the OP mentioned work was paying for this, the best place to start is with them. They should have a list of countries where they have housed people previously.

I will throw something out there - since the OP said not s/he isn't from the US, why send them to Lincoln? Lincoln follows the US calendar which would probably be a bit of a pain and if the kids aren't going to be returning to the US, doesn't seem necessarily worth it to me. Plenty of great international schools (including fully bilingual) such as St. Georges, Northlands, St. Andrews, etc. Might be worth looking into. They are great schools.

Hi, just for the sake of discussion, we are not American, and never lived there. And my kids speaks three languages already... Spanish will be fourth. They always lived in international community and this is why for them, that would be natural. Not trying to change anyone :)
Bravo!!!!!!. Thanks for sticking it to the pompous jerk offs that want to inject their pseudo expat sub standards. Welcome and enjoy your 2 yr stay. Collect language number 4. [this is beautiful!!!!]

I have talked to an embassy family, they said many of them and business people (expats) put their kids around Lincoln high area, that's the place for most/many company relocated people, while budget is not a problem.

Back