New Folks From NYC

CrashRosbe

Registered
Hi,

My boyfriend and I just moved to BA from NYC. I've been reading lots of useful posts on this site, so I wanted to introduce myself.

I'm a writer from Michigan/New York working long distance. My boyfriend's from Long Island working here. We're in San Nicolas right now but are looking for a permanent apartment.

We're having a grand ole time getting to know this fabulous city, but are still getting our bearings. We just found out our clocks have been an hour off since Saturday, but on the plus side, I had the best steak of my life tonight.

We're planning on being here for a couple years, so we'd love to get to know more people. Yoga? Writer's groups? Penguin appreciation clubs?

Thanks for all the great advice on this site,
Erica

CrashRosbe said:
Penguin appreciation clubs?
</p>There's a Penguin Appreciation Club that meets in the Plaza de Mayo every few days. No formal membership required - just turn up when summoned by The Queen.Political joke. Very poor taste. Sorry.Welcome to Buenos Aires. It's a wonderful city. I think you two are going to love it here.

Hi Erica,

Welcome to BA. My boyfriend and I moved here about 1.5 years ago and we love it. We had intended to stay for 2-3 years while he studied music, but now we don't want to leave.

There is a lot of yoga and pilates in BA. What form are you interested in? The "big man on campus" is DeRose yoga. They have chains everywhere. I haven't been so I'm not sure what they do. Hatha is big here. Iyengar is catching on and a few of us teach Ashtanga. Though, as far as I know, there is no Bikram. And the smaller sects like Forrest or Baptiste have not caught on yet.

Feel free to email me directly if I can be of any more help to you. [email protected].

Thuy

elhombresinnombre said:
There's a Penguin Appreciation Club that meets in the Plaza de Mayo every few days. No formal membership required - just turn up when summoned by The Queen.Political joke. Very poor taste. Sorry. . . .
It amused me, "nameless". Thanks for a bit of humor on an otherwise humorless day.

Hi Erica,
My boyfriend and I met in university in New York City and are now living downtown as well. And our clocks were an hour off as well for a while : ). We're also relatively new and are still getting used to the city. I believe there are several writers groups, some of which you can find by searching on this website.
Good Luck and feel free to contact me if you guys want to grab a drink sometime!
Catharine and John

We've had a writers' group going since last May. Contact me if you're interested and I'll send you details. [email protected] Plus, my boyfriend is from NYC - as are many other people I know.

Whoops - I should have checked this sooner.

Thanks Thuy and Ivy for the Yoga help!

And Nameless, I await my summons with baited breath.

Catherine - yes I'd/we'd love to get a drink sometime. Bars in BA are a new frontier for us.

Writer's group sounds great. I'll email you off the forum.

Hello everyone,

I've just arrived here as well. I have been living in Palermo for the last three weeks while I work, start learning Castellano and settle in. I'm not much of a writer, but I would like to join a yoga class, explore the city, enjoy some nice wine and food and meet some cool people.

If anyone wants to get together sometime to hang out or do a language exchange - send me a message.

Chau!
Tarah

I am very excited to see this post. My husband and I are both from NYC (although we currently live in Costa Rica) and we are planning a move to BA in the next six months.

Would love to hear how ex-NY'ers are handling the move. We just spent about 10 days in BA this past October and fell in love with it. We felt as though it was a mix of NYC and Paris (with awesome beef and wine. . .what's not to love). Toss in how dog friendly it is and all the yoga. . .we are just ticking the hours until we move.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to meet you all!!

Back