New in BA - advice on where to live

sa122

Registered
Hi everyone

I'm new here - am coming to BA soon to work for a few months so would be great to meet some of you sometime.

I was also hoping some of you could help me with deciding where to live - I'm not sure where to pick between 2 places I am considering - one is in Recoleta and the other in Las Canitas. I'm not at all sure which to go to - the Recoleta flat is bigger but Las Canitas seems like a more lively area with more weekend activity and more cafes/shops....

Would be very grateful for any advice on this please!

Thanks in advance!

Both are very nice places. Where are you going to be working? Do you need to commute? If so, where in Recoleta is the flat? Close to a bus line or subway line?

If you are living in Canitas, what street is the flat on? If it's on Baez, you may want to consider the noise factor. A front-facing apt, especially on a lower floor, can be quite noisy.

I live quite near Canitas and love it. Lots of bars and restaurants and tons of people go out there. And polo season is almost upon us - yay! You will be walking distance to the polo fields for the Open :) And that's always an amazing party!

Thanks for the info! Apparently the flat in Las Canitas is away from the noise. Recoleta one I'm not actually sure where exactly it is but the person living there assures me it is close to buses and subways. I am working on Avenida de Mayo, I think close to the intersection with Avenida 9 de Julio - will it be too long from Las Canitas to go there?

If you are working on Av de Mayo, the apt in Recoleta is probably better. It will be easier to get to work. But I'm the type of person who tries really hard to shorten my commute to work. I hate long commutes. So...

I think I am pretty sold on Las Canitas - sounds like there is a lot more going on there, may just have to deal with the commute, hope it won't be too bad...

I have a very long commute now (>1.5hrs). Before that I had a 10 minute commute. FWIW IMO long commutes suck the life out of you. Quality of life goes up exponentially as commute time decreases.

Personally I'd go canitas over recoleta. Much more going on, near the parks, near palermo yet not particularly touristy. Probably looking at a 40 minute commute, but its pretty manageable.

Las Canitas is the much better choice. It is safer, cleaner, less pollution and generally a better place to be. The only downside to Las Canitas is that it is one of the lowest places in the city so when there is heavy rain, it ofter ends up under a few feet of water.

So don't be surprised if you can't make it home on some days because of to much rain. So try to have a back up plan just in case that happens.

there are a million bus lines that run down lm campos/santa fe that will get you downtown. The 60 stops right on LM Campos - probably about a 45 minute commute. If you don't mind a brisk walk, you can go to the Carranza subte station or the Palermo subte station and take the B line downtown. It's probably about a 10/15 minute walk to either station from Canitas and then a 15 minute subway ride.

If you take the apt in Canitas, we'll be almost neighbors:D

Back