Going to Live in Bariloche...any advice?

soledadhess

Registered
Hello,
Have been in BAires for about a month now (came from the US with Argentinian husband and baby) visiting family. In 10 days we are going to Bariloche where my husband has a house. I have been there once but only for 4 or 5 days. Just wondering if anyone has any advice about living there, (things to take that are cheaper here in BA) or have any contacts of other english speaking people ...especially with babies. Any opinions on life there too:) Just curious.
Thanks
soledad

Some of my family live in Bariloche, mainly because their kids absolutely love it there. They have lived all around Argentina - but keep coming back to Bariloche. This is their 3rd time living there... but they are there for good, and have built a home etc.

I was there 3 weeks ago.. it is easily the most beautiful place on earth.. and i have literally been around the world, and nothing will compare for me. I just love it there. But that's just me. It seems perfect for a family... but also on the slightly expensive side compared to rest of Argentina.

I'm sure after 10 days you'll get a feel for whether or not you can see you and your family there :) Good luck!

I am also new to Bariloche......I moved here 2 weeks ago from the U.S. I am retired here so probably old enough to be your mom or grandmother but an very young at heart....I moved here by myself and do find myself right now homesick as I have still to make new friends....

Be sure and bring warm clothing.......although spring has arrived the nights can be very cold and we just had a very cold and windy week past. You don't mention where you will be living here. The center of town is extremely busy and if you like that you will enjoy living there. I live out by the Llao Llao hotel in a rural part of town......I prefer the natural beauty more...

Also....I don't know your dietary tastes but if you like any kind of spicy food then bring your spices with you......I discovered Argentines do not like any heat in their food and I enjoy cooking and eating Thai, Mexican, East Indian and many highly spices cuisines. You won't find those in the local market.

If you would like to ask any specific questions I'm glad to do what I can.....be well and best of all to you and your family.

Linda

soledadhess said:
Hello,
Have been in BAires for about a month now (came from the US with Argentinian husband and baby) visiting family. In 10 days we are going to Bariloche where my husband has a house. I have been there once but only for 4 or 5 days. Just wondering if anyone has any advice about living there, (things to take that are cheaper here in BA) or have any contacts of other english speaking people ...especially with babies. Any opinions on life there too:) Just curious.
Thanks
soledad

Bariloche is really beautiful. My family and I go down at least once or twice a year for vacation. It's really peaceful and pristine. Personally for me it's too quiet and a bit boring after 10 days. I don't think I could live there permanently because I like bigger cities and more things to do.

But if you are raising a family it could be a good lifestyle. The air is much cleaner than a place like Buenos Aires and it's much safer there than Buenos Aires.

What I find is the cost of living seems higher for some things like groceries. The groceries there seem more expensive than Buenos Aires with not as good of a selection as most of the grocery stores are quite small there compared to Buenos Aires. So you are limited on food items.

The drivers there are bad but not as bad as Buenos Aires, although I have to say that I've been going there for 7 years and it seems like the same pot holes in the streets are still there in the same places year after year.

Not as many restaurant choices as big cities but there is plenty of good restaurants there. If you like the outdoors it will be paradise for you as the skiing is quite good, you have the Lake and it's really scenic. If you like small towns it's really good.

I just find it boring after about a week but I guess sometimes boring is good..... Good luck.

Hello!
I am thinking for moving to Bariloche too, but from Buenos Aires.
I've heard that not all neighborhoods in Bariloche are good.
For example, barrio Frutillar they talk is very poor, it's like kind of villa.
There are also relatively new neighborhood barrio Las Victorias. The plots there cost about 30-35000 dollars,
although 2 years ago, they cost about 15-20000.

Here is an article on our property, which is still for sale.

All 3 units have some of the most amazing views on the planet.

Hi there..I assume you are already here & settled since I am replying 5 months later. I also moved here with my Argentinian husband & kids. We came from Florida. Been in Bariloche almost a year now. Building a house on the Peninsula. If you need someone to talk to email me : )

can anyone offer any advice on how to find an apartment in bariloche? thanks in advance! elaine

Back