new in the forum, hello :)my husband want to move to BA.

Obviously i wont be making my descision based soley on this forum. I don't think anyone ever moved anywhere based on an internet forum. I'm interested in reading the experiences of people who are expats in argentina in case i become one. I don't think there's anythng wrong with research.

My husband on the other hand gets pangs of wanting to leave. :p This usually happens after he has to do paperwork or anything dealing with Argentine bureaucracy.

I'm really hoping that my husband will quickly enter that catagory. I normally like being there until family start pestering me to get pregnant, this usually happens within the first 20 minutes.

I moved here from London 2 years ago and I have plenty of mixed feeling about the city. I'll try and summarise my personal likes and dislikes.

Good:
Climate is better than London
Lots of cheap places to buy veg
I enjoy my job and can live close to work in Recoleta, plus the hours aren't too demanding
Parrillas
1lrt bottles of beer.
Chicas lindas ;)
Good street art

Bad:
General unfriendliness of the locals. (makes London look really friendly)
A lot of the locals don't want to mix with foreigners
Sexism -
Almost impossible to have a mixed social group
The hours. I don't want to wait until 3am to see a band.
Lack of onda on a Friday after work.
I'm pretty stuck for places to drink after work unless you want to hang with the suit on Reconquista
Lack of alternative culture
Lack of international food
90% of women are in therapy here. (nope no joke this is FACT)
Lack of places to go on the weekend. It not like you can pop down to Brighton on the train. Mar Del Plata is 5hrs on the bus.
It gets really polluted as there are no emission laws.
If your not in Palermo or San Telmo the place is full of old aged pensioners acting like you owe them something. Ok maybe Villa Crespo.

Not to mention the economy...

So all in all I've had a lot of good experiences here but when my girlfriend finishes her contract at work I think we'll be out of here.

VEG - vegetables, and probably the other thing too.

I came here expecting to fall in love with the city from all the great things I've heard about it but now I feel a bit let down by it.
Still its a great experience to learn another language and live in a different country for a while.

All depends on what kind of life your looking for, L.C.C..

When i visit BA i always bump into tourists who tell me how amazing they find the city, i never had this experience, not even the first time. With the kind of work i do i wont spent all that much time in the city so it should be ok. I think a year will be enough for my husband to realise that it's a great place for holidays. Or i'll take up smoking, grow my hair, go into therapy and fall in love with the place ;)

What is the meaning of : 90% of women in BsAs is in Therapy?

It means they are seeing psychologists or psychiatrists for mental and emotional problems...sometimes that manifest in violent behavior towards others, particularly their "significant" others.

I know from experience.

If you enter "Argentine women" in an advanced search (search titles only) you will find some relevant threads:

It's not just the women. Maybe not such a large percentage of men, but therapy is very common for all. I know a number of examples. In fact, my wife's cousin (who lives with us) is nearing the end of her third year of study in being a certified therapist. There seems to be a fairly good market for new therapists, although if not already, the market must saturate at some point...heh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/world/americas/do-argentines-need-therapy-pull-up-a-couch.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Back