New Koreatown: Markets & Restaurants (suggestions + pics)

Thanks, Casa Mun, for your initial posting -- I've been going to Floresta (Cuenca y Moron) regularly for my fix of kimchi and other Korean food (spicey, yeah!!) and for fresh and cheap produce and packaged asian food. I will now check out the places you recommend.

As for safety, I've had no issues, but I've only gone during daytime. Those of you who say the area is not safe, I am curious, what exactly are your concerns/experiences or even stories you've heard about the area? I've never had any bad feeling walking around, though I clutch onto my pulse tight, as I do anywhere in this city....

here4now said:
As for safety, I've had no issues, but I've only gone during daytime. Those of you who say the area is not safe, I am curious, what exactly are your concerns/experiences or even stories you've heard about the area? I've never had any bad feeling walking around, though I clutch onto my pulse tight, as I do anywhere in this city....

As someone who lives down the road from one K town and is a regular visitor to both, I would be even more curious to know if those who say these areas are too dangerous for foreigners have even visited them.

pauper said:
As someone who lives down the road from one K town and is a regular visitor to both, I would be even more curious to know if those who say these areas are too dangerous for foreigners have even visited them.
I have visited them, I actually lived 25 blocks from K town at some point, I have had friends assaulted and robbed more than once in the area, what else do you want to know?

nikad said:
I have visited them, I actually lived 25 blocks from K town at some point,

25 blocks eh?

nikad said:
I have had friends assaulted and robbed more than once in the area, what else do you want to know?

Well, to start with, why, for example, you don't give the same advice when people are assaulted and robbed in Recoleta/Palermo?

pauper said:
25 blocks eh?

Well, to start with, why, for example, you don't give the same advice when people are assaulted and robbed in Recoleta/Palermo?
Because that advice has been given on this very same board dozens of times is a good enough reason for you? Or it would have been better to post it here where the topic is about a different area in the city? My advice has nothing to do with classes btw, I have lived in at least 8 different neighborhoods other than Recoleta and Palermo, so I do not get your point really.

nikad said:
Because that advice has been given on this very same board dozens of times is a good enough reason for you? Or it would have been better to post it here where the topic is about a different area in the city? My advice has nothing to do with classes btw, I have lived in at least 8 different neighborhoods other than Recoleta and Palermo, so I do not get your point really.

You're right, you don't

I didn't say anything about classes nor how many barrios you have lived in. I used the example of Recolermo because a) it is mentioned many times on this forum and b) there are many reports of crime from that area here too and yet I don't recall seeing much in the way of advice warning foreigners about visiting that area of the city. Here's an example, the kind of post that appears daily here:

So I wanted to share with you some places that are expat friendly and offer some kind of eatability. All of this research conducted on a trial and error basis :) List is in NO particular Order and has a dish which is perfectly passable and at push enjoyable!!!

Venue 1 - Taco Box - Mexican - Palermo Hollywood - Chicken Fajitas with the hot sauce, cocktails are ok too

Venue 2 - Tandoor - Indian - Recolleta - Chicken Tikka Masala

Venue 3 - Bakano - Pizza - Palermo Hollywood - Any Calzone and Pizzas are thin

Venue 4 - California Burrito - Mexican - Palermo Hollywood - Burritos your style

Venue 5 - Parilla La Gran Hollywodd - Argentine - Palermo Hollywood - All the meat fab as are the fries

Venue 6 - Las Cabras - Argentine + Mexican - Palermo Hollywood - All the meat, Quesadillas with chips and salad, casseroles meant to be good

Venue 7 - Olsens - European Brunch - Palermo Hollywood - All good in a great environment

Also try Yankee for Chineese delivery, Paraguay y Humboldt and Green Bamboo is meant to be good but personally not been
but never have I seen someone interject with a reply warning foreigners about visiting such areas. Of course I'm not talking specifically about yourself, I'm just interested in the way people here arrive at conclusions about barrios, the comfortable consensus on this forum seems to contain something of a double standard.

I make my own kimchi and have not tried it at Jung Ang Foodstore. I am interested to hear your feedback...

I have zero safety concerns regarding Floresta -- I go every week on the 124 bus which drops me off a few blocks walk from Moron. I live in Recoleta and, in reality, am more cautious in this neighborhood than Floresta.

I just walked and ate in Floresta today and I felt safe being there at mid-afternoon as well as walking to the subte stop.

Cheers!
Natasha

I work in the heart of this barrio and it is generally safe during the day, especially close to the large avenues. At night it is virtually deserted and you do have to be a bit more careful where you choose to wander.

If you enjoy great traditional Korean food however, this area is definitely worth a visit.Plenty of good restaurants and grocery stores (oh and lots of cheap clothes..on Saturday shops sell to the public at mayorista prices)

Back