New Koreatown: Markets & Restaurants (suggestions + pics)

Casa Mun

Registered
Hi All -- it seems almost everybody knows of or has been to Barrio Chino. I myself buy a lot of ingredients there on the weekdays (it's a complete mob scene on the weekends). But for the more adventurous types, I can recommend an excursion to this city's new "Koreatown." It's in the Floresta neighborhood near Avenida Avellaneda. This broad avenue hosts a thriving wholesale clothing and apparel market and many of the stores will sell to the public as well. If they don't, they have a sign saying "solo mayor". This could be a definite plus and another part of the adventure.

The Korean markets, restaurant and shops are a few streets away on Moron street between Campana and Bahia Blanca. In general, Korean food is fresher and cheaper here than Barrio Chino. I buy these things here: Korean miso and hot paste, hot pepper flakes, sesame oil, Korean ramen, soy bean sprouts, tofu, garlic stems, Korean wontons, meat for Korean BBQ, variety of soy sauces etc. My favorite Korean market is Jung Ang Foodstore and the address is Campana 627. If they don't have what you need, just ask and they will get it from another store or Mercado Central. The Lims provide a very personal service and their son, Leo, also speaks perfect English. The Lims go to Mercado Central 3 times a week at 4 AM to buy fresh vegetables and fruits. Also on the same street is a Korean restaurant, Kil Jung, recommended by several Koreans, including the Lims.

Here is a link to my pictures of Jung Ang Foodstore and Kil Jung:
http://picasaweb.google.com/CasaMunBA/Avellaneda

Korea Town new? I don´t think so. The area is not safe for foreigners though so be careful.

I think the area you are referring to is Carabobo -- and it is definitely not a safe place. Mainly because it is directly connected with a villa.

But, the area I am describing is in Floresta (near the wholesale garment district) and many of the Korean merchants are moving to this new, safer location. I go there weekly it's as safe as any locale in BsAs.

Casa Mun said:
I think the area you are referring to is Carabobo -- and it is definitely not a safe place. Mainly because it is directly connected with a villa.

But, the area I am describing is in Floresta (near the wholesale garment district) and many of the Korean merchants are moving to this new, safer location. I go there weekly it's as safe as any locale in BsAs.
It might be worth checking it out then. Floresta towards Liniers is really not safe for foreigners, if you are Korean you should be fine ( nobody messes up with Asian people really ) else, be careful and try not to stand out.

nikad said:
It might be worth checking it out then. Floresta towards Liniers is really not safe for foreigners, if you are Korean you should be fine ( nobody messes up with Asian people really ) else, be careful and try not to stand out.

The area is fine, I'd be more on guard visiting Recoleta than the 'other' Korea town.

I think going to Carabobo is fine. Take a cab there and a remis back. We go 2x a month if not more and never had a problem. Compared to the Koreatown in Los Angeles; I really dont think its much more dangerous (but yes I will not go at night, well I have been but with 8 people). But perhaps its because my Korean-American boyfriend "blends in".

I have been to "K-town" in Floresta at night and it seems better than Carabobo (at night, I have been to both).

And you're right Casa Mun, the kimchi is horrible in Chinatown (well you didnt say that but I think it was implied).

Thanks Casa Mun. When we get back to BsAs after vacation we will go to your recommended market for groceries.

hannstew said:
Are you saying that Koreans are not foreigners?

No, they are integrated. For foreigners she means you.
And I agree about this area is not safe.
Regards

hannstew said:
Are you saying that Koreans are not foreigners?
They certainly look like "locals" to the area because there is a high density of Korean inhabitants, why are you so concerned?

Back