New Residency Requirements from March 2019

The new ten year requirement does not yet appear but I expect that it soon will and the one year provision will apply to the entire decade.

When the monthly income requirement for the visa rentista increased from $8.000 to $30.000 it did not immediately appeer on the migraciones website.

One expat who had been to migraciones to renew his visa rentista (probably expecting to have to prove he was receiving the lower figure) was the first to let us know.

[QUOTE="steveinbsas, post: 366304, member: 552]

For the benefit off others who may be about too renew their temporary residency could you please explain why this year's renewal was a huge undertaking" and why you needed the "help of a very experienced attorney."[/QUOTE]

Of course "too"should be "to" (I have a sticky O-key).

[QUOTE="steveinbsas, post: 366304, member: 552]

For the benefit off others who may be about too renew their temporary residency could you please explain why this year's renewal was a huge undertaking" and why you needed the "help of a very experienced attorney."

Of course "too" should be "to" (I have a sticky O-key).

PS: Okey is how Argentines spell Okay. :rolleyes:

Google migraciones argentina,
- CERTIFICADO QUE ACREDITE FEHACIENTEMENTE QUE NO REGISTRA CONDENAS ANTERIORES NI PROCESOS PENALES EN TRÁMITE emitidos por las autoridades competentes de los países donde haya residido por un plazo superior a UN (1) año, durante el transcurso de los últimos TRES (3) años. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 (dieciséis) años.
- DECLARACION JURADA de carencia de antecedentes penales en otros países, (será confeccionada en migraciones al momento de la solicitud de residencia).

Thank you for the full post and links to drill down to Temporary Residence. I noticed in the language above, which if perpetuated, may help ease the burden of detailing criminal records of a ten year period. Basically as I read it: #1 for locations lived of less than a year the criminal record isn't required. And #2 they will ask you to sign something of a broad declaration, swearing to no criminal background in "toro paises" which I take to mean or include the places lived less than a year and no criminal record report is required.

Last edited:
Was this your third renewal or was it the third time you submitted paperwork to migraciones?

It has been my understanding (for more than a decade) that anyone with temporary residency can request the cambio de cagegoria to residencia permanente at the third renewal and that they must do so at the fourth.

As far as I know, when you ask for the upgrade to permanent residency you will have to submit the same paperwork that was required for the previous renewals, but you will have to wait longer for the cambio der categoris to be approved than you have for the renewals.

Based on what you wrote, it appears that you had to submit a new background check from the US for at least one previous renewal. Is that correct?

For the benefit off others who may be about too renew their temporary residency could you please explain why this year's renewal was a huge undertaking" and why you needed the "help of a very experienced attorney."

Thanks, Steve. Your replies are always in depth and insightful (gratitude!) Yes, I believe I did need a full US background check for one of my earlier renewals and for a gringo like me (with only intermediate Spanish) having the help (and hand holding) of an attorney was the most sensible route for me. This time the number of documents required was quite a load and it seemed for a few months I was running all over town for necessary docs and approvals. Finally did cross the finish line though (phew!)

This time the number of documents required was quite a load and it seemed for a few months I was running all over town for necessary docs and approvals.

Please elaborate...as in what type of residency you have and what documents were required for the renewals that were not required when you first applied for residency?

Last edited:
I believe the previous requirement, the last 3 years, included a proviso about 'a place you lived for 1 year or more'. Will this also apply to the new 10 year requirement?

I mentioned this in another post but I don't think in a direct answer to this question:

Not only will it apply to the new ten year requirement, migraciones may look at your passport to see if there is any country you "lived in" for a total of 365 days or more during the last ten years.

That means (for example) if you spent December and January in the south of France for six out of the past ten years, the total number of days you lived in France during the past ten years would be 372.

And that would mean you lived in France for more than one year in the past ten and you would need a criminal background report from France.

That may sound crazy,,,

Back