New restaurant, need opinions

The place or the location of the restaurant must be one of the first things to consider in establishing one. You must also add some variations to your business. Something that will be remembered mostly by the customers.

bradlyhale said:
What are they going to refill in Argentina? Your bottle with another bottle? People don't do it here because they're stuck in the 50s or something. The street cafes are cute, but once inside I feel like I'm on the set of "I Love Lucy".

In the U.S., I can't think of one restaurant that doesn't do "free" refills -- and of course, it isn't free. They charge $1.50-$2.00 for a glass.
let me give you an example:
when they first open Mcdonals here, you could get the mayo, ketchup and mustard from the counter yourself...now you have to ask for it... why? because when you could get them yourself there where people that would take ALL the mayo and stuff home....
And another thing.. here not only they rip you off with the price on the drinks, but they also give you a bottle that cost half the price in a kiosco. The other day I went to the movies and they had the larger size drink that said "refill 7 pesos" but the original price was 9 pesos....lol:mad:

btw I'm in belgrano, and I don't recall going to Vicente Lopez for dinner... meaning i wouldn't go :p

have set hours of operation. nothing is worse having to travel to a bar to watch a game on tv to have it closed and no clue as to when it will be open.

as for menu/food-

have a set bar menu with food (sliders, wings, burgers, etc) and some signature drinks and beers on tap/bottle

dinning menu should be 5 appetizers, 5 entrees and like 3 desserts. change them regularly

maybe offer a tasting menu with wine pairing.

Friendly service! Waiters that smile and chat to you! No service charge (but please, keep the bread and butter baskets!) and free tap water.
Can I also ask for meal-type salads that aren't just grated carrot, raw onion and slices of tomato? A Mexican touch is definitely welcome and how about a larger variety of desserts, especially slices of cake?
And maybe this is an Australian thing but how about good coffee, maybe a chai latte even, and RAISIN TOAST?? :)

Where to begin. I think Ryan made the most helpful comment which is CONSISTENCY in whatever you do. If you comb through the comments that is an underlying theme. And it is true like or not, why chains in U.S. work.

My concern with your plan, is I would think before you even got into the restaurant you have a clear vision of what you want to do? As you can see by the responses everyone has an "opinion" about what would work, but if you, the owner/investor does not have a vision for your place before you open...well problems ahead. Especially, if you plan on serving food.

I think #1 about what you are going to serve is YOUR CHEF. You may have envisioned: Americana let's say, but your Mexican chef is more familiar with stuff he grew up on. So would make more sense to either have him prepare things he knows how to make and how they should be, or change your chef.

Other than that I think of what Gordon Ramsey (like him or not says): Don't have a bloated menu (this leads to a lot of waste $$). Have a short menu, of excellently done items, with FRESH ingredients. Don't be American style ("yes, we have 'fresh' berries in the middle of winter"). And have 1 specialty that you are known for: "chef Miguel's Grandmother's Amazing Enchilada Pescator", or whatever. Your signature dish.

I agree about the TVs. Either sports bar, or no TV. If you do Sports bar, do it right. Multiple Tvs, showing all sorts of games. Spend the money and get Plasmas, and different areas so people can watch various games and sports. The Alamo is pathetic by U.S. standards for a sports bar.

Good luck. I own several bars in the U.S. and a close friend of mine is a well known chef in BA, so if you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Whatever menu you decide upon, please make sure the girls are easy.

Back