New To Ba....couple Questions

CiscoR

Registered
Hello - I will be a newbie to BA in the coming weeks for a short term assignment. Had a few general questions:

1) Wife and kids will visit during October for about 4 weeks. Kids are 7 and 5. Are there any schools near the Recoleta or Palermo area that would possibly accept very short term students? Wife will be working remotely some during her visit and wanted the children to have at least some exposure to other children in the area.

2) Best banking options? Bring in US$ on your own, open local account, use credit cards only with no int'l fees, any US banks have relationships in BA?

3) Must see areas, activities, events for newbies?

4) Any expact events or groups in B.A.?

Thanks...and see you all soon.

Francisco

2. Bring USD hundred dollar bills and convert at the blue rate. Do not use ATM or international credit cards or you'll be losing 60% on your money. You won't be able to open a bank account here without a DNI and residency.

Argentine banking is byzantine, to say the least.
Short term, local bank accounts are usually not possible.
as mentioned above, if you use an ATM, you get charged a relatively large withdrawal fee, there is a low limit on the maximum amount you can withdraw at one time, and your money is changed at the lowest, most unfavorable rate.

Bring US hundred dollar bills, and have your wife bring another batch when she comes. Its easy to find local moneychangers, friends and colleagues will usually want dollars as well, or local businesses- I have a shoe store in my neighborhood that is always good for a couple hundred at just below blue, very convenient and they are friends. This is quite common.
In short, assuming you can figure a safe place to stash them (perhaps consider a novelty safe you bring with you- fake book, fake coke can, or similar?) Dollars are the best, most practical means. Most short term rental units have safes.

As far as what to do, there are a thousand things every day, depending on your interests.
World class museums in many subjects, great pop music, theater, dance, opera, art, much of it free or quite cheap.
Interesting antiques, shoes, leather, silver, knives, and a lively contemporary fashion design scene.
Great architecture- if you are interested, there are good downloadable guides on art noveau, domes, and recoleta cemetery at Endless Mile, Robert Wright's site-http://endlessmile.com/

there are lots of things for kids to do, too, but october is just about the end of the school year, and argentine schools are relatively strict and studious. But Porteno's love classes, and there are lots of kids classes in things like art, as well. My kids are way too old, I dont know the details. But there is stuff out there for kids to do. And help, as in nannies, are cheap, it would be easy for you to hire somebody a few mornings a week to take the kids to pools, parks, and events.

You could register and then vote for the October mid-term election!!
Just everbody and his brother does in this country!!!

Pardon me to Hi-Jack OP's topic, but want to know if instead of Dollars, can the Amex traveller's US$100 checks accepted in Bs As?And if OK is the cambio ratio same as if crisp US$100 bills to be exchanged there?

Pardon me to Hi-Jack OP's topic, but want to know if instead of Dollars, can the Amex traveller's US$100 checks accepted in Bs As?And if OK is the cambio ratio same as if crisp US$100 bills to be exchanged there?
No, not unless you want "official rate" The stores have to cash them at the bank. Bring only crisp $100 bills

Charles Schwab bank has no ATM fees and no foreign exchange fee, if you want to use its debit card as a credit card for bigger purchase. You get the official rate though, which right now is about 5.5:1.

I use xoom [dot] com to get pesos at about the blue rate, which is around 8:1 pesos:dollars. I set up the transfer using my US bank account, they email me when it's processed (usually about an hour) and I go pick up pesos at a locutorio on Corrientes. Quick, easy, and I don't have to talk to anyone who says "cambio, cambio" on calle Florida!

(Side note, I am a very experienced babysitter with references in NY and CT, and I'm available evenings and weekends for babysitting!)

Buena suerte!

Leave you're winter clothes behind as winter here is just about over. Maybe one light sweater.
The BA Zoo & The Botanical Gardens are always a treat specially for kids. They're both across the street from each other.
The Botanical Gardens is free. Here's a link to the city subway system.
http://www.subte.com.ar/mapas/subte.asp

Leave you're winter clothes behind as winter here is just about over. Maybe one light sweater.
The BA Zoo & The Botanical Gardens are always a treat specially for kids. They're both across the street from each other.
The Botanical Gardens is free. Here's a link to the city subway system.
http://www.subte.com...mapas/subte.asp
Hmmm, leave the winter clothings back home..That is what my Argentinean friend told me..And starting from September and on, the weather gets marvelous there I heard? What is the Temp like in September there ? in F or C either one would do..

Back