New to BA from Chicago--Masters at UBA

Hola, Phil de Chicago! I am enrolled in a Maestría en la Facultad de Ciencias Económicas right now and live up the road from Psicología.

I think Ashley is right about the oyentes situation. The classes in Posgrado are paid, while the undergrad is free, so it would be harder to be an oyente I would think, unless you paid tuition...and they are so much smaller with limited space. I guess you already realize the new school year starts in March.

Still, in your discipline, it will be well worth your while to sit in on some of the undergraduate classes. Hurry, though, because the semester for undergraduate should be starting any moment now, if it hasn't already. I found there was a big jump in my studies in the US in undergraduate and here, particularly because students at UBA in economics are really well versed in classical thinkers and theorists. For example, instead of just learning about X theory in some passing section of a textbook, they read the original paper by the original author, and so they know X idea was created by Y person in 1953. My one semester of undergraduate really prepared me for the cultural differences in the academics, not to mention the language ones.

I am sure in the same way in your discipline, the enfoque will be just a little different than what you are used to, so it will be well worth your while to take some advanced undergraduate courses as an oyente, or even enrolled, to get the lingo and talking points down.

It's worth your while to march your ass down to the school RIGHT NOW, find the International Office or posgrado in that facultad; let posgrado know of your plan. I got enrolled in the Master's program a week before it started and without all of my paperwork ready. The great thing about seemingly disorganized Argentine bureaucracy is that it CAN work in your favor and can be incredibly flexible and helpful relative to US "rules people."...but only if you bring your buena onda and patience for waiting in a line.

PS Phil. Don't worry about your background check. There are two kinds of student visas you can get, the full one that comes with the visa precaria, which you will eventually HAVE to get because at the end of your program UBA won't count your degree unless you have done the visa. But most US exchange students that come here get the mini student visa, which only lasts for 5 months. You could even easily just do your undergraduate studies on a couple tourists visas with a pop to Colonia and then get the other one later.

I still don't have my FBI records yet if you check my other posts! Welcome to Argentina, the land of mate and (mostly) chillax! You will love it here.

Back