New - Wanting to move to BA asap

That’s the key- steady, reliable income in USD or another stable currency equivalent, before moving back I did the ‘take a trip here and see’ not one but 3 times HOWEVER- the take a trip for awhile and see ONLY works if on these trips you immediately immerse yourself to what your REAL LIFE will be like on a day to day basis, and on these 3 trips before my move back I had credit cards in USD and was traveling with mom and family, and while we weren’t doing things that I would normally deem ‘lavish’—- now, earning in pesos I would not be able to do them.

Hell I have clients working in executive positions earning 200.000 pesos gross /month who feel like they screwed because obviously the more you make the more you spend and the arg culture is all about keeping up with the jones and getting a flashier car than your neighbor SI O SI.

Don't you think that Argentinians have been brainwashed by all the American movies and television portraying life in the USA?

When I moved here in 1999, all the cars on city streets were old ones. Drivers didn't use headlights at night.

Yes.

I’m not saying it’s a good thing .

Do you know that even the Aduanas ‘vet ’ flights from Miami to Buenos Aires because of the massive loads of things they tend to bring back? I flew in during Christmas and someone had even brought back an 8 foot artificial Christmas tree

Income is a problem unless you're retired with social security from the USA.

I know a woman from Arizona who followed her dream to live in BsAs after multiple visits over many years. She moved here a month ago after selling her home. Her first order of business was a trip to migraciones to get her pensionista residency started. She's looking for an apartment in San Telmo to buy.

Living on social security in the USA is difficult for some, impossible for most...including me. Glad to be in BsAs.
T

Income is a problem unless you're retired with social security from the USA.

I know a woman from Arizona who followed her dream to live in BsAs after multiple visits over many years. She moved here a month ago after selling her home. Her first order of business was a trip to migraciones to get her pensionista residency started. She's looking for an apartment in San Telmo to buy.

Living on social security in the USA is difficult for some, impossible for most...including me. Glad to be in BsAs.
That's me,, Hi, I am looking for an apartment to buy while waiting for my pensioners visa and DNI

to come through. Having U.S. dollars does make a huge difference here. I also have a retirement fund to supplement my s.s. check. Everyone keeps saying how expensive it is here. Some things yes, other things,very cheap. But there is no city in the U.S. where I could buy an apartment for under 100.000$ . I know the city has its challenges. But it's so much more exciting than the boring little town I lived in in the states.

Last edited:
That's me,, Hi, I am looking for an apartment to buy while waiting for my pensioners visa and DNI

to come through. Having U.S. dollars does make a huge difference here. I also have a retirement fund to supplement my s.s. check. Everyone keeps saying how expensive it is here. Some things yes, other things,very cheap. But there is no city in the U.S. where I could buy an apartment for under 100.000$ . I know the city has its challenges. But it's so much more exciting than the boring little town I lived in in the states.

I guess that USA income levels are a different Universe. I read today that MBA graduates from major USA Graduate Schools, like Sloan from MIT, get started at a base salary from $120 K to $147 K a year plus bonuses and perks. What can one say..! Che no somos Nada...!

As an expat myself, I believe it is key to really evaluate your chances to find a decent paying job here in BA, someone mentioned erlier that you can't make a living in Customer Service, however I think they refer to a low level job (receiving angry calls in a call center for example). With the right credentials you could find a higher level job in a good company, and being an eglish native speaker could actually mean an advantage in some cases. So don't let the negative comments scare you away, BA is a great city to live and some people is fortunate enough to make a decent salary in pesos.

Best case escenario: find a job in the US that lets you live in BA, if your salary is in USD you'll have nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

I guess that USA income levels are a different Universe. I read today that MBA graduates from major USA Graduate Schools, like Sloan from MIT, get started at a base salary from $120 K to $147 K a year plus bonuses and perks. What can one say..! Che no somos Nada...!
About 5 years ago, a kid my son went to high school with got hired fresh from college with a computer science degree, by Amazon. $100k a year and 30K USD signing bonus. Obviously, those numbers are higher now. And also obviously, now that he is an experienced 27 year old, this kid is making closer to $150k a year or more. There are tens of thousands of 20 somethings in LA, SF, and Seattle making over $100k a year. It really is a different universe.
Then, you have a lot of my friends, 60 something old hippies, who can only exist because they bought houses 30 years ago, at very low prices. https://www.geekwire.com/2018/repor...le-hits-132k-making-city-top-spot-relocation/

What boring little town in AZ did you live in? We currently live in Gilbert, AZ and hubby will retire in a few year's. We will be visiting BsAs again in July. Hoping to go to a Coffee Chat and meet some expats☕ to discuss the pros & cons of living there.

What boring little town in AZ did you live in? We currently live in Gilbert, AZ and hubby will retire in a few year's. We will be visiting BsAs again in July. Hoping to go to a Coffee Chat and meet some expats☕ to discuss the pros & cons of living there.
I lived in Cottonwood across the valley from Sedona. Beautiful yes,boring YES.! I was also the only tango dancer in town. Had to drive to dance. Here I can dance every day if I want to. So much to do here. Finally get fluent in Spanish. Don't need a car. Reasonably priced health care. There are cons, but I love it here. Would love to meet you when you come to town.

Back