New Years Eve 2015

Who or what is Tony? A person, a drink, or...? Pardon my ignorance :)

Vitel toné is a vile dish served at Christmas and New Year's dinners. I don't know why, unless it is to make us glad to see the old year over so we don't have to see it for another year?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitello_tonnato. "It is also very popular in Argentina, where it is known as vitel tonné, and considered a traditional Christmas dish."

Sent from my iPad

It is very high caloric traditional dish in Argentina. It can be made well but I must agree, I am not the biggest fan of it.
That being said, here in dumpling land, i.e. the favorite dish for the holidays is fried carp which has been in your bathtub(TRUE! if you don't believe me, look up traditional Czech holiday dinners) with potato salad(heavy on the mayonaise) and fish soup.

Take your choice or maybe go to North America and have a delicius turkey dinner with all the trimmings!

Virel tone is Vital Tony´s alter ego.

And Viral tonee is what happens when someone thinks it makes perfect sense to leave a dish that contains what I think is cream, meat, mayonnaise (probably, the Argies use it on everything), anchovies, tuna and god knows what else, out on the table in 38 degree weather for a couple of hours and then keep eating it....

I also find it very disturbing that my mother in law calls potato salad "mayonesa". Well at least it tells you what the principal ingredient is :S

At least tonight we are having NYE at our house so I have a bit more control over the food. Jabali is the main dish though my mother in law is insisting on bringing a 1.6kg matambre stuffed with eggs, onions, carrots, bacon, prunes, mayonnaise (of course), apple, bell peppers and apparently anything else she can find in her fridge???? We are 4 people + a 4 yr old tonight. I really don't think we need 2kg of meat stuffed with everything you can find on the planet. I will stick to the Jabali thanks.

Happy NYE!

I confess that I´d take Vital Tony over that stuffed meat roll any day.
It´s like spotted dick but nowhere near as palatable.
I had to ask the in laws, bless em, not to buy so much meat for the parrilla. We´re 8 people and I´m betting they buy enough for 20.

I confess that I´d take Vital Tony over that stuffed meat roll any day.
It´s like spotted dick but nowhere near as palatable.
I had to ask the in laws, bless em, not to buy so much meat for the parrilla. We´re 8 people and I´m betting they buy enough for 20.

I sometimes wonder whether if Argentines bought normal quantities of food for the end of year festivities , there might be a 4% fall in the country's GDP...

We're hosting and Vital Tony isn't invited! We're doing it gringo style - roasted turkey, stuffing, some salad, homemade bread, roasted veggies, vanilla cake with a salted caramel sauce (no DDL around here;) , etc. I do love the fireworks here though - best part of NYE.

Thanks for explanations :)

Sadly, I have to confirm what Esteban says about Czech Xmas tradition. Yes, shame on my own nation, for winning gold in the "most stupid and disgusting Xmas tradition of the world" contest. One of the many reasons I can't stand Xmas. In fact, it's even worse than what Esteban describes. Carp doesn't taste exactly delicious (more like mud) and many people prefer a buttered steak with potato salad over anything made of carp for Xmas Eve dinner. Yet, for "tradition's sake", they will keep a carp in their bathtub and ritually slaughter it the 24th, by smashing a large hammer over it's mouth. Then they put it in freezer and forget about it, until the next electricity blackout when everything melts and has to be thrown away. Not everyone is into doing it themselves, so you can see basins with living carps, butchers and streams of blood in every square, in front of every shopping centre, and you can enjoy watching the executions live if you're into it...

From that perspective, thanks God for the pyrotechnics we have to tolerate here...

Back