New Years Eve 2015

Vitel toné is a vile dish served at Christmas and New Year's dinners.

In Italy, vitel tonnè is simply a regular dish from Piedmont (this is its dialectal name, in Italian it is called vitello tonnato). I believe it is widespread in all of the country, but I never checked - I have always assumed so since I lived in that area of Italy. I don't recall it being related to a specific time fo the year, it is always available ready made in supermarkets or can easily be made at home. It is served as a starter.

Curiously enough, beside the tuna (tonno, which gives the name to the dish), it also contains anchovies. I had the feeling that my husband's family did the sauce with Casan Cream or something else as I couldn't taste the capers nor anchovies. Likely, in Argentina they do a totally different sauce given how expensive canned fish and capers are here, and how they manage to spoil any tasty dish.

Though the original recipes calls for a specific cut of beef, it is also made with turkey meat or chicken meat (in this case, it is usually to recycle the leftovers).

C_4_ricetta_395_upiFoto.jpg

Thanks for explanations :)

Sadly, I have to confirm what Esteban says about Czech Xmas tradition. Yes, shame on my own nation, for winning gold in the "most stupid and disgusting Xmas tradition of the world" contest. One of the many reasons I can't stand Xmas. In fact, it's even worse than what Esteban describes. Carp doesn't taste exactly delicious (more like mud) and many people prefer a buttered steak with potato salad over anything made of carp for Xmas Eve dinner. Yet, for "tradition's sake", they will keep a carp in their bathtub and ritually slaughter it the 24th, by smashing a large hammer over it's mouth. Then they put it in freezer and forget about it, until the next electricity blackout when everything melts and has to be thrown away. Not everyone is into doing it themselves, so you can see basins with living carps, butchers and streams of blood in every square, in front of every shopping centre, and you can enjoy watching the executions live if you're into it...

From that perspective, thanks God for the pyrotechnics we have to tolerate here...

Getting ready for Christmas....!!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Carpe_miroir_de_17kg.jpg

Kinda wished I took the invite to a balcony party... Word of advice to anyone who even thinks about doing the planetarium for NYE. THERE ARE NO FIREWORKS. you hear them all over city but you can't see shit! what a disappointment. Wasn't so bad, we made ourselves a little romantic picnic but there really is not anything special about something you can do any day of the year. After decided to wait until 1:30am to go to a bar thinking a local bar might be open... nope CLOSED.

This is the first time I actually missed Los Angeles. I don't care that bars close at 2am and last call is 1:30, at least EVERYTHING is open and you can have a good time with a bunch of other drunk folk.

sorry I had to vent. I am bitter right now haha

I hear you Serafina, some people make some nasty and tasteless Vital Tony, the real Vital Tony has lots of capers, mayo, tuna, anchovies and cream ( for the sauce ) I am very picky about my Vital Tony. When I was pregnant with my first son, I had Vital Tony cravings for months, and I would eat half a kilo at a time several times a week. I guess I basically gave birth to Vital Tony II back in 1994 lol :D

In Italy, vitel tonnè is simply a regular dish from Piedmont (this is its dialectal name, in Italian it is called vitello tonnato). I believe it is widespread in all of the country, but I never checked - I have always assumed so since I lived in that area of Italy. I don't recall it being related to a specific time fo the year, it is always available ready made in supermarkets or can easily be made at home. It is served as a starter.

Curiously enough, beside the tuna (tonno, which gives the name to the dish), it also contains anchovies. I had the feeling that my husband's family did the sauce with Casan Cream or something else as I couldn't taste the capers nor anchovies. Likely, in Argentina they do a totally different sauce given how expensive canned fish and capers are here, and how they manage to spoil any tasty dish.

Though the original recipes calls for a specific cut of beef, it is also made with turkey meat or chicken meat (in this case, it is usually to recycle the leftovers).

C_4_ricetta_395_upiFoto.jpg

I ended up getting lucky with other folks at the place I'm staying, with a multiple-course dinner made by a man from Turkey and a woman from Romania (I cleaned up). After dinner, we hit the street right before midnight and walked north to Palermo as fireworks went off on the streets. We eventually hailed a cab to a busy corner of Palermo Soho and met other travelers from Brooklyn and Israel. However, the Turk couldn't handle his liquor choices of wine mixed with the Turkish version of Sambuca, and eventually disappeared. We looked for him for a very focused 90 seconds, then grabbed our own cab and came home. Thankfully, the Turk had made it home safe, but then wanted to go out again to the club Amerika and get his dance groove on. I considered joining him, but given that he was such a sloppy drunk decided to leave the clubbing for another night. :)

Kinda wished I took the invite to a balcony party... Word of advice to anyone who even thinks about doing the planetarium for NYE. THERE ARE NO FIREWORKS. you hear them all over city but you can't see shit! what a disappointment. Wasn't so bad, we made ourselves a little romantic picnic but there really is not anything special about something you can do any day of the year. After decided to wait until 1:30am to go to a bar thinking a local bar might be open... nope CLOSED.

This is the first time I actually missed Los Angeles. I don't care that bars close at 2am and last call is 1:30, at least EVERYTHING is open and you can have a good time with a bunch of other drunk folk.

sorry I had to vent. I am bitter right now haha

Oh dear, the bars don't really open on NYE until about 3am, had you waited you would have been able to get in, and there's a street party in Las Canitas every year that starts up I think usually by about 1/2 am. We actually had some great fireworks around us this year -- nothing really happened at midnight, it was like everyone was on an 8 minute delay or something, but then they all started and our neighbours put on a fantastic show we gave them a huge round of applause from our roof deck.

The stuffed matambre thing was not to my taste whatsoever btw. And my pavlova lasted about 5mins thanks to the humidity, not because it was devoured but as soon as I took it outside it just turned into an imploding volcano thanks to the humidity!

Ok, so I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Vital Tony (yet). My Argie boyfriend's family had exactly the same dinner as at Xmas, not that it would be any bad. It was delicious, mostly veggies & chicken, in elaborate combinations. Plus jokes about carps, of course.

It was their cat who made the New Year for me. She ran away from me, when I first came there, a few weeks ago, in total panic. Until New Year, we more or less ignored each other from a safe distance. At about 00.00 2016, the creature came directly to me for a cuddle. Weird.

Back