New Zealander looking for work .

I've found a list here: https://es.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120223083853AAxInGG&guccounter=1 though I'm fairly sure some of them are digital only now. Mega Photo is only a couple of blocks away from Museo Fotografico Simik on Jorge Newbury but unless there's another place very near by, I have a feeling that I found that they had dropped film. Quite a few places still have yellow Kodak Film window stickers....
....but don't do it any more
Thank you

I can assure you that what you are experiencing in NZ is nothing compared to what is going on here. I suggest you catch up with the latest news.

I vote this post for understatement post of the year. Ha, ha.

Seriously Julz, you need to talk to your partner. Have they not filled you in on what is going on in Argentina? Just out of curiosity what do they say about this? The only reason to move to Buenos Aires would be if you have a steady stream of income (payable NOT in Argentine pesos). It can be ideal for people that can work remote over the computer/phone and still bill in their home currency. Or people that are retired and getting monthly pension in another currency. Or people that own real estate and getting paid in a foreign currency.

But NOT people that are unemployed and hope to find a job in Argentina that probably don't even have their DNI or a working visa. Salaries are extremely low and I'd venture to guess you wouldn't cover your monthly "nut" back in NZ.

If your partner truly loves you, he/she will fill you in on what is going on. If they haven't already then I'd question whether they are worth staying with. JMHO.

Is there not a way your partner can come there to NZ? I realize they are tough with immigration but can't they at least get a visa? Don't count on being able to get a job here. And even if you do it won't be making much. And also BA is not really a cheap city. Sure it's easier if you're making a foreign currency but still not too cheap.

Also Julz,

A good exercise is to figure out what your monthly "nut" is. Add up all the costs that IF you moved to Argentina how much you'd have to come up with. Obviously if you can rent out your property and will have cash flow from that you can subtract that. Rents are quite high in good areas and on nice properties in New Zealand from what friends tell me.

Then on the flip side, all up all the expenses you'd have in Buenos Aires. Things like:

-Rent
- Property taxes on your place in NZ
-Phone (Land line and Cell phone both in NZ and BA).
- Utilities (gas, water, electricity, cable, internet, etc in both BA and NZ)
- HOA fees (in both NZ and BA if applicable)
- Maintenance and repairs
- Car payments
- Car insurance
- Auto Fuel each month for each car
-Taxis/Uber in BA
- Registration fees for your car each year
- Maintenance on your car to include car washes and oil changes
- Home/rental insurance for your property
- Life insurance (if applicable)
- Health insurance premiums (in NZ and BA)
- Dental insurance premiums
- Medical/Dental expenses (what insurance won't cover)
- Prescription medications
- School expenses for kids if applicable (tuition, stuff for school, ballet classes, etc)
- Babysitter expenses (if applicable)
- Annual fee for Credit Cards
- Clothes for yourself (and kids if applicable)
- Toys for kids (if applicable)
- Dry Cleaning
- Health club / gym
- Beauty (hair salon for hair cuts, color, nails, make up, etc)
- Extracurricular activities dues/fees
- Entertainment (movies, theatre, plays, concerts, sporting events, etc)
- Magazine/newspaper/Ipad subscriptions
- Dining out at restaurants
- Grocery budget
- Retirement savings contributions
- Kids college fund savings contributions (if applicable)
- Charity/donations
- Travel / vacation expenses
- Federal/State/local income taxes
- Any revolving debt payments you might have
- Bad habit type stuff (alcohol, smoking, etc --- if applicable)
- Emergency savings fund for any major health issues
- Non reimbursed office/work expenses and supplies

So let us know what the monthly nut is and we can tell you if there is any hope/chance that you can make nearly that much just to cover expenses. The biggest problem is many people in Argentina can't even cover their monthly expense. Unemployment is rampant and getting worse and their currency has free fallen.

I don't know your situation but I've met several females from abroad that were in a similar situation and things didn't end up so well. The key thing is to be well educated on everything going on here (both political and also especially economically). It's ok if you still decide to move here knowing full well everything is going on. But go into it with your eyes open and with a realistic view over the most likely outcome.

Love is love and we all understand how that can go but you still have to look at things realistically. Because you'll end up resenting your partner if things don't turn out well (which most times they don't when an Ex-pat leaves their home country, leaves behind a good job, stable income, friends/familiy, house/property, etc).

Last edited:
Love will conquer all obstacles. Come to Argentina and live for a short while, an experience that money can not buy, then decide from there. It's hard to use the income in Argentina to support the expense in NZ, should be the other way around. Find an online job and work from home.

Love will conquer all obstacles. Come to Argentina and live for a short while, an experience that money can not buy, then decide from there. It's hard to use the income in Argentina to support the expense in NZ, should be the other way around. Find an online job and work from home.

Only the OP knows her personal situation. A blanket "don't come here" doesn't always work. You never know the financial situation of someone coming here. I still say really go into it with your eyes wide open and if you can stomach the financial burden then be realistic and set a limit of how long you can sustain yourself over the short-term and long-term. There has to be a "say when" limit.

Over the years many people have posted on this website with similar questions regarding the possibility of finding work in Argentina. People have given all sorts of advice. The current climate, however, is extremely poor and likely to get worse. It would be dishonest not to point this out. Anyone who wants to come needs to know just how bad it is. Finding work means competing with a multitude of Argentines who are out of work. One might even argue that it is wrong to come here at this time and take a job that should rightfully go to a needy citizen. I doubt however that there are jobs to take these days.

Back