Nice 1 bdrm apartment sublet US$400 May-November

Nicetobehere

Registered
I'm looking for someone to sublet my spacious one bedroom apartment in an elegant 1920s beaux arts building. It's on the edge of San Telmo. 5 minute walk to Subte. If you're interested I can send pictures. The apartment is available next May through November. Rent is US $400. Thanks! Paul

I'm looking for someone to sublet my spacious one bedroom apartment in an elegant 1920s beaux arts building. It's on the edge of San Telmo. 5 minute walk to Subte. If you're interested I can send pictures. The apartment is available next May through November. Rent is US $400. Thanks! Paul
Could you send me some pics and better idea of the location

Hi - Thanks for your interest. Location is Caseros and Piedras. Happy to send pics via email or whatsapp. Cheers Paul

Also it goes without saying to be careful as there are a LOT of scams out there. Make sure before paying any deposits, you verify an apartment is real and genuine. With Airbnb you have protection as a rental guest. Paying some no one person on random message boards is not safe.

So at least have them allow you to go and see it or show someone that you know the property if it's not on Airbnb. I've seen a LOT of people get scammed. Many rental guests that end up renting with me on Airbnb have just gotten scammed on another site or message board. So be smart.

Craigslist here in CABA has, in my experience, turned out to be absolutely infested with scammers.
YES!! Just last month I had a woman from Russia that was studying Spanish here. She was with her baby of just 1 year old! She sent me an urgent message from Airbnb at 11:45 PM at night. Fortunately I was reading my messages (severe insomnia). She had rented some apartment on Craigslist and sent funds only to discover it was fake.

She sent me an urgent message asking if my place was available for 1 month. It was so I asked her when she wanted to check -in and she said, "NOW!!". I clicked accept and then gave her my WhatsApp and my property manager met her and she was so relieved to have a place that matched the photos! When I sent her a WhatsApp message the next day asking how she liked the apartment this was her response attached.

I'm NOT saying all Craigslist are scams. Just understand and protect yourself and see the property first or have them arrange to show it to someone local you know. Sometimes you think you are saving money but ultimately you are paying. more and wasting time.

Few people don't realize time = money. People can bitch and moan and complain about Airbnb all you want but they have built up a beautiful website and infrastructure. Back when they started, these guys were coming out of college and I was watching what they were doing. They had these hacks like once owners listed their property, it would instantly push it out to Craigslist. It was a hack for free marketing. I knew these guys were smart and on to something.

In 2008 and early 2009 these guys would call me almost once a month to beg me to list my properties on their platform. I didn't because I told them it would help with my demise as people would just by-pass me and I'd have to pay them 10% commission. Around early 2009 if I'm not mistaken I was on a phone call with Brian and Joe (2 of the Founders) and I told them they MUST have professional photos. I explained photos was the first thing photos would judge Airbnb by. Before it was sh*tty photos that the owners uploaded. Watching what they have built up is remarkable.

It's a safe platform for rental guests as you will NEVER lose money renting there and what you see is what you get or you let Airbnb know. Remember Airbnb does NOT pay owners until 24 hours after check-in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at 3.05.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at 3.05.21 PM.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yes, that's all very nice, but I still say AirBnB is evil because they create a situation in which the locals are priced out of the housing market.

So, I will repeat. AirBnB is the devil, and I urgently wish to see it banned from Argentina completely.

To borrow a phrase from Cato the Elder, "AirBnB delenda est!"

Yes, that's all very nice, but I still say AirBnB is evil because they create a situation in which the locals are priced out of the housing market.

So, I will repeat. AirBnB is the devil, and I urgently wish to see it banned from Argentina completely.

To borrow a phrase from Cato the Elder, "AirBnB delenda est!"
Well you will NEVER see it banned. So that ain't happening ever. Look at how it all works. Add 2+2 together. Do you realize the wealthy in Argentina do NOT keep money in banks or stock market? Do you know where they have virtually ALL their wealth??? It's real estate. And it's not just the wealthy. I employed hundreds of employees in Argentina over the past 20 years. Do you know where I have harped on them to put their money? It's real estate. The only thing saving former employees is they listened to my advice to buy an apartment or 2 or 3. I'm not talking executives. I'm talking secretaries! And kids. At many times throughout the past 2 decades you could buy an apartment for as little as $45,000 US and you could buy them in "pozo" and pay over years each month. So that's what many did.

Wealthy, politicians, business owners, etc. They ALL own real estate. Where do you think they are renting it out?

Be logical. Do the math. Follow the money. They aren't going to shoot themselves in the feet. Not only do THEY have all their money in real estate but so do all their family, friends, etc.

Are they evil? That's not my call. It's economics and pure market business forces working. It's never going away. Look now with 0 rentals. If you're renting expect to keep paying more and more each year. It's freaking cheap now but it's not going to stay that way. If you're only a renter, you're basically going to be screwed....... Or at the very least you're going to be paying much much more to rent in the future vs. now.

If you were a local would you rent your locked into a 3 YEAR lease with only one time you can raise the rent when inflation is 150% a year or would you rent on Airbnb. YOUR thinking is evil selfishly wanting a cheap rent vs. allowing locals to survive. What is EVIL is the politicians that refuse to change the laws back to sensical laws. Because if they did this whole long term rental situation would get resolved.

Just saying. I really love your posts Redpossem. You're a fellow Californian and I can tell you are a good person. But I'm just saying don't hold your breath on them ever banning Airbnb. It's not going to happen. I'm pushing for regulation there but have for over 20 years.

I've done a lot of things in my career that I'm very proud of. I've started companies from scratch and turned them into leaders in their sectors, gotten companies acquired by big public companies, had ideas for businesses that are powering important public companies. They are teaching my business plan in business schools around the world. But none of that matters to me. The single biggest thing I'm proud of is when I get messages like this attached from former employees. This is a secretary that worked for me in Buenos Aires several years ago.

Attachments

• Airbnb.jpg
    Airbnb.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back