Nightmare At Ezeiza

Above, mmoon reported that access had been opened up (on 19 Dec).

Then there's this:

http://www.lanacion....uerto-de-ezeiza

"Hoy [Tuesday, 22 Dec] se cumple el séptimo día de protestas y cortes llevadas a cabo por los empleados de la empresa avícola con bloqueos en el acceso al aeropuerto internacional de Ezeiza. Pero esta mañana, a diferencia de los días anteriores, los trabajadores habían liberado dos carriles de la Riccheri.

"Nos están pidiendo que liberemos por completo el tránsito. Vuelven a faltar a la palabra cumplida porque nos habían dicho que podíamos seguir con dos carriles liberados", había dicho a la prensa uno de los trabajadores poco antes del avance de la Gendarmería Nacional."

I don't believe they had already opened up the road and making comparisons with Obama is a bit flimsy, considering that if this had happened outside La Guardia, the blockade would have lasted about 30 seconds.

Agreed. The stuff Obama deals with heavyhandedly does not begin to compare with the crap happening here.

Still, so far as direction is concerned, I think one may be legitimately concerned about this happening. The campaign was definitely lifted from Obama, again to the point of copying his slogan "Si se puede" verbatim (he even used "Yes we can" in an English interview), the question is how genuine will that prove now that he's in charge. If to take Obama's example, not very. And the first indicators - bypassing Congress wherever possible, governing by decree - are not encouraging. And this story, again if true - to wit, that the protesters were coming to terms with the government, and that the gendarmes then moved in on Macri's personal orders - would be a very serious indication that this is starting to happen.

Yes I understand that the Congress redefines the meaning of the word intransigent, but that leaves us only with the hope that in the future Macri will behave better when confronted by less serious challenges. One can hope, but should also keep eyes open.

Point taken Ben, but I think he hit hard in order to set a precedent.

I watched the lifting of the blockade live on TV.

The gendarmes first formed a line with shields and walked from the centre of the highway towards the protesters with the aim of pushing them past the crash barrier.
About three-quarters complied, the minority tried to push back, kicking out at the gendarmes and throwing punches. The gendarmes didn't stop though and eventually managed to push the entirety of the picket over the crash barrier onto the grass verge.

This is when the minority began to rip apart their camp and begin throwing missiles at the gendarmes. A still-smoking parrilla was thrown along with rocks, poles, and garbage.
Once one or two of the gendarmes had been visibly hurt by the missiles, a water-cannon truck pulled up behind the gendarme line and suppressed the most violent protesters.

The protesters regrouped further away. This is when I walked away from the TV.

I came back after 10-15 minutes and the police were firing rubber bullets into a small block of protesters trying to rush their line.
At this moment a larger group of protesters formed a chain by holding hands and walked between the lines, with their backs to the police, and began to walk towards the violent individuals to push them away from the gendarmes.

The protest leaders said immediately after that the people hurling rocks and tearing apart their camp were political goons unknown to them who had arrived just before the gendarmes began their operation.

From what I saw, there was no misconduct from the gendarmes.

Poor Ministra de Seguridad one week on the job and has to deal with La Cresta Roja crisis that has been going on for months. The previous government gave millions in subsidies to the Cresta Roja owners to keep them afloat...? where did that money go??

Who wants to take a bet against the position that those "goons" who came to "support" in "solidarity" the workers of Cresta Roja come from groups with Kirchnerist sympathies, there to do what they could to cause a confrontation?

I'm surprised to have heard that blocking the lanes of public roads is actually against the law. As I posted previously with my experience, my conversation with the PFA cops that were at the first road block we encountered some 6 or so years ago in the north led me to believe it was written into the law. Maybe they had simply received instructions to allow it.

In the article EdRoomey linked to, the protesters felt they were told that opening up two lanes of traffic was enough to comply with the government's wishes, but I haven't seen any official indication that they were told that - in fact, Macri has stated at least once that I saw, and Michetti recently, that road blockages were not going to be tolerated. The protesters who said they were told keeping two lanes open was enough, I can't trust that. Not only that, traffic to Ezeiza without people blocking all but one lane each way can be quite bad at times. It still gives people who need to get to the airport, people who have spent hundreds or thousands of pesos to travel, an unfair hit that shouldn't happen because others are upset.

And in the same article, the account of who started the violence (as told by demonstrators themselves) sure seems different than the account given by RichardRPTownley who was watching events unfold, from the beginning it sounds like, on TV.

So Cristina's policies (or her henchmen's) created a huge problem with Cresta Roja to begin with - is it hard to believe that she and/or her henchmen would use this specific incident to force the government's hands? I find it easy to believe that Macri was upholding the law and giving short shrift to people who would punish travelers in general for their misfortune (and why - because they're rich if they're traveling by plane? I didn't see protestors blocking cabs and buses going to Retiro to take collectivos somewhere), as long as there is not some kind of law that guarantees people the right to blockade public roadways at their whim.

I would like to hear more from a non-interested party (i.e, someone I can trust to interpret the laws of Argentina and not try to interpret it to their own benefit as I've seen a certain lawyer do at times) related to the law with regards to what protesters are actually allowed to do when protesting. It makes a lot of sense to me that it is against the law to do so but that Cristina allowed it anyway rather than something written into law or constitution that allows a small group of people to affect literally tens of thousands of people, most of whom had nothing to do with Cresta Roja or any of the other injustices that various groups are protesting.

Who wants to take a bet against the position that those "goons" who came to "support" in "solidarity" the workers of Cresta Roja come from groups with Kirchnerist sympathies, there to do what they could to cause a confrontation?
I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering the same thing. Just the answer to a simple question: who would benefit from this kind of unrest? It's easy to imagine the malevolent wing of k-dom trying to give the new prez a black eye for their political gain. But without proof we can't do anything more than wonder, and to go from suspicion to accusation with no more than we have wouldn't be responsible.

One more stick for the fire: if we take the picketers at their word, they were infiltrated by the very ones who initiated the violence and had no idea who they were or where they came from. Hmmmm....

As a noted philosopher said, "fishy."

Back