No commercial flights until September 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no plan... The hospitals are underfunded, there is a lack of quick efficient testing as well. There is absolutely no logic to the way restrictions are being implemented (Santa Fe has had 0 cases for 3 weeks but still people can't leave their house to even go to a park 50m away). There have been nearly 6000 cases of dengue however but no one is talking about that (PS it has a way higher death rate than COVID if it turns severe).

This plan is equivalent to banning cars as a solution to reducing car crash mortalities.
Well, sorry for disturbing you with facts, but you have over 64k deaths in the US for not quarantine.

Zero cases does not mean that there are no infected people.

After this long in lockdown and no travel into a lot of towns, it is fairly safe to say that any illness would have made itself known (assuming 5 days from infection to onset, even with the mildest symptoms and high rate of infection even if only within the same household.) That on its own is probably not enough, but surely it is 1000 times cheaper to TEST TEST TEST than to close down completely “just to be on the safe side”.

Testing here is more of a PR stunt with a few random antibody tests taking place at stations for a few days. Fortunately all except for (IIRC) 2 of the 7 positives had travel histories. Meaning it has not been spreading wildly in the community like other countries and that closing borders was and is currently the right thing to do. We also know there are only 150 patients in intensive care, meaning it is unlikely we have significantly more cases than feared. The biggest concern is the recent and growing spread in Villas - but who is going to take the political decision to lock down specific people, families, communities, buildings, workplaces etc in this society of tod*s.

Look at my part of the world to see that there are ways to strike a balance and get more, but not all, people back to work and minimize the overall economic damage. Of course there is a cultural dimension to this, is anyone convinced that Argentines en-masse act with self-restraint and a social conscience if not strictly controlled...

I am a big believer in social distancing and quarantine measures including closed borders as being essential to manage the virus. I am not such a big believer that Argentina is going about it in the right way as this moment in time when it should already be manageable.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2020/04/23/what-next-for-countries-that-are-nearly-covid-free

Eastern Airlines has announced it will operate a direct flight from Buenos Aires to Miami, Florida on Friday, May 8, at 11:30 a.m. from Ministro Pistarini International Airport (Ezeiza). U.S. citizens interested in departing on this flight will need to book directly with Eastern Airlines.*The flight is subject to change.*

There is no country as large as Argentina not allowing internal flights until September 2020 . This will cause many people to lose their businesses and families to be seperated . When I first covered this story I thought how crazy than China locked down a whole province Hubei for 2 months . But China did not lock down their whole country and here in Argentina with many provinces without any cases are denied the most basic human right of travel and movement .

Buffett dumps all airline stocks. That says something to me. if he thought it could rebound, he wouldn’t have sold and possibly look to own more via converts or debt. Instead he seems to think it’s impaired long term.

I read that airlines are experimenting with ultraviolet light systems and improved air filters to keep planes virus-free. Let's hope it works.

I read that airlines are experimenting with ultraviolet light systems and improved air filters to keep planes virus-free. Let's hope it works.

Planes may be cleaner but it’s people we need to worry about - the virus hitches a ride inside them. It doesn’t help the industry or the pandemic in any significant way. Maybe in the future it means less common flu and diarrhea causing microbes which will all be welcome news and reassure travelers.

Please, don't rain on my parade... I've set my heart on going to Yosemite in August, 2021....! That will give me time to find a space suit to wear on the plane.

This whole thing is a classic example of short sighted thinking. No government or business was anywhere near prepared for this. Airlines have had decades to sort things out but focused more on cramming as many people into the plane as possible instead of looking after health by providing comfort and an environment that does not scream germ transmission.

Governments with so called 'great' healthcare systems like Argentina have instead turned out to be anything but great and severely lack the basics required for an event like this.

Reactions: Moe
Governments with so called 'great' healthcare systems like Argentina have instead turned out to be anything but great and severely lack the basics required for an event like this.

Argentina has 10,000 intensive care beds with 10,000 respirators, but yeah interesting idea you had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back