No-frills Strategy for Obtaining Residence

steveinbsas said:
Could you just please spare a couple spoonfuls of caviar for my chihuahua (but only if yours has already had enough)?

I hate to beg. Actually, Stella used to do it for herself, but at 15 her hips are shot and she can't "sit up" anymore and now I have to do it for her.

She's as smart as she is beautiful...almost an egghead...I daresay...definitly worthy of the finer things in life (including a home in the country.)

Wait a minute that is not a dog.. and how did you get the Squirel thru customs????

Tom, I'm glad that you mentioned Alex Jones. It makes me feel a little more comfortable knowing that someone understands where I'm coming from with all that, even if you don't think it's as bad as I do. I've been losing sleep just grinding away at the research. And yes, China scares the crap outta me. I've calmed down a lot but I probably could use a lot more calming.

I can not disagree with you, Steve, I agree that fear is a bad reason to move anywhere and I'm guilty of that... but I do feel like I have to move and it is what it is. However, perhaps my saving grace is that I've never been that comfortable living in the United States... the way we let the world starve, squander resources and look upon greed favorably. I just didn't know where to go until now. Everything I read about Argentina is just so positive I really want to go there, and that's genuine.

I've made a crude checklist of what it seems like my plan should be.

While I'm in the United States...

1) Go Chill Out
2) Get a second job. Earn and save money.
3) Call the consulate (too far to visit) and see what they say about doing community service as a way to reside. I doubt that idea will fly but it won't hurt to try.
4) Continue to learn Spanish

BTW, how close is Spanish to Castellano? Is Spanish sufficient to begin with? Rosetta Stone doesn't offer Castellano...

4) Continue to connect to people on here and other forums to learn and hopefully even find someone that wants to share rent with me.
5) Get all the things I will need NOW to make my life easier LATER, including a wireless modem and outdoor survival gear
6) Open a bank account that will be a good option for me. Steve I think you mentioned Charles Schwab Bank, I'll look into it.
7) Try to line up a job
8) The passport I already have. Any other documents I'll need?
9) Leave with no less than $3000 USD. If that seems low, it's because I'm very minimalistic and frugal. I think that should be plenty.

I believe Cordoba would be better for me than Buenos Aires, but we'll see who I meet and where they are over the next few months. Once I arrive...

10) Make sure I'm set up with shelter, internet access, running water and a friend or twelve.
11) Get work. Maybe put up fliers offering to do odd jobs.
12) Engage with the people and the culture. Leave my comfort zone.
13) Do documented community service regardless of what the consulate says. It can only help me to gain residency later.
14) Blog, blog, blog so I can be considered a paid journalist.
15) Visit the universities and try to get a student visa.
16) Get married? Well... I'm aware of the dangers there. We'll see how it goes.
17) Get a lawyer to help with the process.

What do you guys think, anything I'm missing?

For some reason, this and the other thread remind me of Casey Serin.

John.St said:
Afraid you are too late:

HOLY GOD WILL BRING JUDGMENT DAY ON MAY 21, 2011

http://www.familyradio.com/graphical/literature/judgment/judgment.html

- besides we already have lots of fruit in Argentina - and the cakes we make ourselves.

Bah, this May 21st nonsense is just a distraction from the real important things in the world. When people cry wolf like that, eventually no one is going to listen when someone actually is correct about an impending global crisis. :mad:

Goshinki said:
Bah, this May 21st nonsense is just a distraction from the real important things in the world. When people cry wolf like that, eventually no one is going to listen when someone actually is correct about an impending global crisis. :mad:

12/21/2012 is coming.

Hey I have one better... and I am 100% certain this will happen. One fine day the Sun will come to the end of its life and it will slowly emerge into a red giant. The dying Sun will then throw off its outer layers, forming a nebula. The only object remaining will be the extremely hot core, which will slowly cool and then fade as a white dwarf over many billions of years.

What, no Nostradamus quotes? No references to the Mayans?
It cannot be true.

Back