No imported foods anymore????

Sappho

Registered
I thought it was just a case of tax hikes since despite a thread on this a while back, there were still imported foods at Disco, Carrefour et al.
However, today my local Chinese supermarket manager told me he spoke to suppliers and manufacturers of Dame Mani peanut butter and it would no longer be available due to the new laws banning imported foods.

Does anyone have any more info?? And are you still able to buy pb in barrio chino? Thnx!

FYI, I saw a shelf of peanut butter in china town a week ago. But like most things here, it is not easy to find and it is about 5 bucks.

Sappho said:
I thought it was just a case of tax hikes since despite a thread on this a while back, there were still imported foods at Disco, Carrefour et al.
However, today my local Chinese supermarket manager told me he spoke to suppliers and manufacturers of Dame Mani peanut butter and it would no longer be available due to the new laws banning imported foods.

Does anyone have any more info?? And are you still able to buy pb in barrio chino? Thnx!

Isn't "Dami Mani" an Argentine brand? If it is it should be available in the future. I think the new law was aimed at imports that compete with domestic products. If that is correct, then say goodbye to Jiff, Skippy, and Perter Pan along with Heinz catsup and French's mustard.

If the law bans the importation of all imported products, I think most of the grocery stores in Barrio Chino will suffer tremendoulsy (so will their customers). Hopefully, the ban only applied to products that are also made in Argentina. Nonetheless, if there is a domestic manufacturer of soy sauce, just imagine what a prohibition on imported soy sauce would do the quality of Asian cuisene in Buenos Aires...and that's just one example.

Shortly afer the first of the year, the imported food "island" vansihed from the Walmart in Bahia Blanca. There is no Newman's Own salad dressing on the shelves now, and no cans of refried beans, either. I didn't look for Heinz catsup or any other imports, but I will next time I'm there.

I thought it was local but when I asked the supermarket manager, he said it was imported and they would not be able to restock. There's a phone number and email for the company it's made for (which is local) so will try and contact them this week...

Any further info on this? I fear my already bland diet of bread and meat products will become even more bland....

I am not sure about the law, but they are disappearing around the world . Transportation costs,food inflation resulting in a lack of market,if it is not the law it is market forces at work.Time to look for copycat recipes .

I also think that Dame Mani is Argentine. But then again, maybe the peanuts are imported. But does that mean that they are going to run the garapiñada people out of business? Maybe.

Also, without competition, even if Dame Mani is Argentine (which I still think is true 3 sentences later), now that it's competition will be eliminated, expect the price to skyrocket.

:(

I've been thinking about throwing peanuts in a food processor, I think that makes peanut butter, and it's got to be cheaper than the stuff in Chinatown.

Napoleon said:
I also think that Dame Mani is Argentine. But then again, maybe the peanuts are imported. But does that mean that they are going to run the garapiñada people out of business? Maybe.

Also, without competition, even if Dame Mani is Argentine (which I still think is true 3 sentences later), now that it's competition will be eliminated, expect the price to skyrocket.

:(

The price will only skyrocket if there is high demand for the product and limited supply...or if there is hyperinflation. Then the price of everything will skyrocket.

The fact that almost no grocery stores carry the product should tell you how low the demand for peanut butter really is in Argentina.

I have learned in my 6 years here if you see something you really like, stock up while it's available.

Also, its amazing how much I have learned here. I just had a thought that ancho powder (a type of chili powder is dried jalapenos ground up). One could dry jalapenos and whatever other chilis you find in the oven and grind it with some cumin seeds for a homemade chili powder.

I just bought a small Planter's peanut butter in Jumbo in Palermo last week btw.

Back