No more books or magazines

for the kindle there are no problems. in the worst case scenario they could block argentine issued credit card to buy books (or anything) abroad but if you have a foreigner issued card i do not see how and why they would block you from buying e-books.

maiguss said:
as i just read something about kindle, i remembered that i wanted to ask if its even possible to sit in argentina and use the overseas amazon shops to download books (in my case german amazon shop). was thinking of getting myself a kindle but a friend told me that i might have trouble downloading the books from argentina????? appreciate your help

You won't have any trouble, at least I haven't. I have a Barnes and Noble Nook and have had zero problems downloading eBooks from the US site.

katti said:
You sure? How strange... what's the difference? How many people order books pro courier anyway? About what amount of money are they talking?

I always by my books on amazon by standard mail.

Yes I'm sure but is very difficult to explain given the complex of the matter and the poverty of my English .

The article is a total fabrication based on this..

http://www.cda.org.ar/index.php?opt...nd-262012-control-de-plomo&catid=54&Itemid=90

The clue is below , is just an interpretation for an 'abogado' .

"A partir de estas normas, todo material impreso está sometido a un tratamiento fiscal o aduanero especial, destinado en este caso a controlar la cantidad de plomo en tintas. Hasta el 12 de marzo, no había restricción alguna, por ejemplo, para traer libros por courier . Ahora, un editor deberá proceder a realizar una despacho común", explicó un abogado especializado en comercio exterior y derecho aduanero.

The import laws are not strictly enforced when the importer is an individual and use Correo oficial . Private couriers are treated under other regime , more strictly , until now books were excepted of that regime.

Lee said:
Isn't that fucking great...I just ordered my latest shipment of books from Amazon last night and now I read this.

I hope everyone can finally clearly see that things for expats are NOT good in Argentina and they are only getting worse...and it seems something at least weekly is added to the negative column.

I am so looking forward to the day I say good fucking bye to this place!

Ok, Lee, now we are all waiting for you to tell us how it went... :D
(if you receive your books and what you had to do to get them)

I used to order my books from BetterWorldBooks and had absolutely no problems. The last shipment i ordered was in January and I am still waiting for it to arrive! :( Its very upsetting!

Lee said:
Yes, I will post back what happens. I have ordered books via Amazon delivered via Fed/Ex for the past 5 years and never had an issue..always delivered right to my apartment door.

If I have to go to the airport and deal with this I will and I will detail the procedure so others will at least know what to expect.

I would prefer a youtube video so we can reference in the future when we need to go to the airport to obtain our magazines and books.

I hope everyone keeps updating this thread. I'm thinking about returning to Argentina but it seems to be worse every week. Decreasing sushi and now this. I used to get my beloved "New Yorkers" sent to me monthly through USABox in Miami. Never a problem. I'd be curious to know if this magazine "ban" is the real deal.

I used to think that the comparisons of CFK to Hugo C. were a bit of a stretch, but CFK and her pig headed little authoritarian youth mob are now clearly heading in that direction. What a horrible shame.

There would be a lot of swearing on a video, believe me. I've done the Ezeiza thing and it took about 17 different steps (2 hours), going from office to office to office ad-casi-infinitum, collecting signatures, signing, paying fees, obtaining stamps, all the while sucking up reverentially to little officials...

The day is coming when Fedex and others will stop delivering to Argentina, not profitable: no cargo to deliver because of restrictions.

Back