No more books or magazines

scotttswan said:
on other news some junk i ordered from www.dealextreme.com just arrived via correo argentina no problems at all :D

I also had a pleasant delivery this week -- did an experiment of ordering baby clothes online from The Children's Place. They send via carrier something or other 51 that handles all customs and shipping. I ordered 5 items: 2 pairs pants, 3 long sleeve shirts.

Products = 180 pesos, Duty = 120, Shipping = 155. Total 455 or say 90 pesos an item.

Told the items would arrive in 12-15 business days. They arrived in 4 business days at my doorstep.

Quality: excellent, I've bought clothes from them before and they are pretty much indestructible.
Price: a lot more than I would have paid in USA, but helluva lot cheaper than say Mimo, Cheeky, Grisino etc. where just one pair of pants alone is around 200pesos these days. And to buy anything for cheaper or same price as I just paid I would have to have given up a lot in quality.
Service: excellent, thumbs up on all points.

Husband said that supposed deal is any package under 500grams will come to your door no problem, over that and it gets stuck... so same thing would probably not have worked for adult clothing, but I may experiment with that as well at some point.

I decided to make a book run today and stopped by Librería Santa Fe on Cabildo and Lacroze. They normally have at least two full shelves of books in English but today, there weren't enough books to filled up even one shelf. Mostly Danielle Steele and Dean Koonz novels. Not exactly my cup of tea.

A guy who works there told me they have more books coming in from the US but that they have been sitting in a container in the port for the past two months, thanks to the lovely import restrictions. He said that after that shipment finally arrives, that'll be it. No more books in English, basically.

So...if you are looking for trashy romance or crime novels in English, grab them there while you can. Although, I think I grabbed the last two halfway-decent books that they had left.

RachinBA said:
Times like this I love my Kindle even more than ever.

The problem is when you want to read on the train or the bus. There's no way in hell I'd whip out my tablet here while riding on public transportation.

syngirl said:
I also had a pleasant delivery this week -- did an experiment of ordering baby clothes online from The Children's Place. They send via carrier something or other 51 that handles all customs and shipping. I ordered 5 items: 2 pairs pants, 3 long sleeve shirts.

Who was the carrier exactly. What type of post was it, what does the packaging say.

Thanks

This situation is disastrous for schools that teach English and language institutes that depend on imported materials for classes. This harks back to the '70s here, sadly enough.

http://www.walrus-books.com.ar/
A great place to sell and buy used books in Buenos Aires.. more than ever now that it´s hard to ship them in!

mcaffa said:
I decided to make a book run today and stopped by Librería Santa Fe on Cabildo and Lacroze. They normally have at least two full shelves of books in English but today, there weren't enough books to filled up even one shelf. Mostly Danielle Steele and Dean Koonz novels. Not exactly my cup of tea.

A guy who works there told me they have more books coming in from the US but that they have been sitting in a container in the port for the past two months, thanks to the lovely import restrictions. He said that after that shipment finally arrives, that'll be it. No more books in English, basically.

So...if you are looking for trashy romance or crime novels in English, grab them there while you can. Although, I think I grabbed the last two halfway-decent books that they had left.

I simply can't believe we've got to this state.
One of my very favourite shops is Kel at Martinez.
It's my next urgent stop, before they run out completely. I hope this doesn't put them out of business.

Markgeezer said:
syngirl said:
Who was the carrier exactly. What type of post was it, what does the packaging say.

Thanks

I ordered from the Children's Place and their international expediter is FiftyOne. They sent via DHL, all customs etc paid in advance so just had to sign upon receipt at my door.

Here's 51's website so you can see which other companies they work with if you're interested in trying to order something. I know GAP/BananaRep etc also ship so if not with these people someone else.

For kid's stuff I think Gymboree ships here as well.

http://www.fiftyone.com/

Back