No more imported food...

What really bugs me is that we are next door to some of the best fruit in the world in Brazil, but with the restrictions and the tariffs, we seldom have access to it. Mercosur is just a paper entity, it has almost no teeth like the EU or Nafta.

I am no fan of Cristina, but the farmers here should thank their lucky stars they are so incredibly protected. No where else in the world is there a wall against imports as there is here in Argentina.

What will I do without my Heinz ketchup? (sniff) None of the local brands come close.

That's easy... anyone can go and live to Greece. I've heard they are really good adopting free market measures.
Not a bad option at all, you can buy properties low now.

The one good thing about banning imported foodstuffs is that it will flush out those who evaluate the country mainly on the basis of the local pizza quality.

Sara

mendozanow said:
What really bugs me is that we are next door to some of the best fruit in the world in Brazil, but with the restrictions and the tariffs, we seldom have access to it. Mercosur is just a paper entity, it has almost no teeth like the EU or Nafta.

I am no fan of Cristina, but the farmers here should thank their lucky stars they are so incredibly protected. No where else in the world is there a wall against imports as there is here in Argentina.

Again. You really don't know about farmers protection in the US.

MizzMarr said:
This is absolutely ridiculous. Not only is it another move in the wrong direction, it highlights the absolute bubble that the argentine food mindset exists in. I'm sorry, but Industria Argentina has NO equivalent for swiss chocolate, tabasco sauce, peanut butter, ranch dressing, or innumerable other items. It's going to bring the general quality down. They better stay away from the mexican and asian imports!

Gah, this place really pisses me off sometimes!! I want to want to love it and it just keeps making it harder.... GRRR!

Im not really following this issue but it´s my understanding that we will ban importing food products that are manufactured/grown/raised here. Tabasco Sauce, peanut butter, ranch dressing and many other products are not made here so those products should not be banned. I believe this products will remain the same, being foreign exotic goods, not banned and pricey as they are now. Now, chocolate might fall in the category of banned products since we do manufacture a great deal of chocolate based products and this is when we (all of us) would be affected, in case we wanted some nice expensive swiss chocolate just to indulge ourselves we may no longer (at least for as long as cristina is president hehe) be able to get it. Now, im way far from agreeing with Kirchner´s policies but this one in particular is the one that bothers me the most (i understand for expats it may be a bit more touchy but again, i do believe products like peanut butter will be imported just the same as nowadays)
On the other hand, we are currently importing many things we are good at producing. For example, much of the beef we are eating these days comes from uruguay and brazil....needless to say that this is ludacris !!
Again, im not really into this subject so im just saying what i think it will happen.

Im not really following this issue but it´s my understanding that we will ban importing food products that are manufactured/grown/raised here. Tabasco Sauce, peanut butter, ranch dressing and many other products are not made here so those products should not be banned. I believe this products will remain the same, being foreign exotic goods, not banned and pricey as they are now. Now, chocolate might fall in the category of banned products since we do manufacture a great deal of chocolate based products and this is when we (all of us) would be affected, in case we wanted some nice expensive swiss chocolate just to indulge ourselves we may no longer (at least for as long as cristina is president hehe) be able to get it. Now, im way far from agreeing with Kirchner´s policies but this one in particular is the one that bothers me the most (i understand for expats it may be a bit more touchy but again, i do believe products like peanut butter will be imported just the same as nowadays)
On the other hand, we are currently importing many things we are good at producing. For example, much of the beef we are eating these days comes from uruguay and brazil....needless to say that this is ludacris !!
Again, im not really into this subject so im just saying what i think it will happen.

-Juan

Originally Posted by billsfan
"Again. You really don't know about farmers protection in the US."

Nor do you.
I actually own farmland in the USA, although I lease my big field to a real farmer.
Every store in the USA is FULL of imported food stuffs, including lots of farm produce- some times of the year, all you can get is vegetables from Chile, Mexico, and south and central america.

The US has many problems- but protectionism in most food markets is not one of em. We are awash in Vietnamese shrimp, Costa Rican beef, Chilean asparagus, Mexican strawberries, and, of course, French Cheese, Italian ham, and Argentinian Malbec.

There is no comparison to the selection, and prices, in Argentina.

I suspect you have only read about american farmers. Come on up, I will introduce you to a neighbor of mine, who recently ripped out 40 acres of apple trees, as he could not compete with cheap imported apples. The land is for sale right now...

billsfan said:
Again. You really don't know about farmers protection in the US.
Still, you can walk into any grocery store in the US and find a million products from Chile. Yes, the US tries to protect the orange growers against the less expensive Brazilian oranges and farmers are paid to grow corn, or not to grow anything, depending on what the case may be, but it's not impossible to find a "lima caiparinha" because it's just not cost effective for the Brazilians to ship them there.

RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO BRAZIL and finding a lime is sometimes IMPOSSIBLE ON A DAY'S NOTICE. This is a joke.

Ban on imported chocolate... hmmm... I wonder what will happen to the Lindt shop at Dot Baires? :eek:

Back