No more imported food...

Good!

What the "Retenciones Móviles Agropecuarias (Ley 125)" did not accomplished the Chinese move will do...the soja plantations landlords coupled with the massive sowing of Monsanto's transgenic seeds are destroying slowly but sure this country.

I wonder what will happen to Starbucks? And will they be motoring the shops in Barrio Chino?

Dont let me get started on electronics. Every trip back to the US we have to bring back even the simple stuff.

Lucas said:
Good!

What the "Retenciones Móviles Agropecuarias (Ley 125)" did not accomplished the Chinese move will do...the soja plantations landlords coupled with the massive sowing of Monsanto's transgenic seeds are destroying slowly but sure this country.

Thos landlords have been extremaly aided by kirchner´s policis. They are the ones making billions while the average soy producer is screwed. Guess who else is making milions on the side while the industry here is being destroyed......that´s right...everyone guessed....KIRCHNERS !!

Napoleon said:
It won't be that great for production if other countries choose to do the same towards Argentine products. In fact, if countries boycott soy, corn, wheat, and beef, Argentina is fucked.

In fact they do. That´s the reason they restrict those products.
The US and EU have subsides and quotes. The free market is a lie.
In fact, if you study some history, Argentina was expected to be the 6th economy of the world by the 60´. But Argentina was neutral during the IIww and was closer to germany. After that there was a boicot call the tringulacion. The US offer to rebuild Europe (Marshall plan) but those countries should not buy argentinian products.

And here we are.

Bajo_cero2 said:
In fact, if you study some history, Argentina was expected to be the 6th economy of the world by the 60´. But Argentina was neutral during the IIww and was closer to germany. After that there was a boicot call the tringulacion. The US offer to rebuild Europe (Marshall plan) but those countries should not buy argentinian products.

And here we are.

Right. Argentina's economic problems are everyone's fault except Argentina's. It has nothing to do with the decades of bone-headed hyper-nationalist policy that has defined this place since it was cooked up by the Spanish, served by Italians and spiced with a few Nazis. Nothing whatsoever.

What's most amusing about this thread is that the entire premise was a fabrication. The very idea that a state would completely ban foreign food products rather than simply increase import taxes on items that compete directly with local fare is so ridiculous it could only be taken seriously in this forum.

Now please excuse me as I retrun to my homemade (that is, *foreign* made) tortilla smothered in delicious and perfectly legal Tobasco chipotle sauce.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Argentina was neutral during the IIww and was closer to germany. After that there was a boicot call the tringulacion. The US offer to rebuild Europe (Marshall plan) but those countries should not buy argentinian products.

And here we are.

First time I heard the Marshall plan blamed for Argentina's woes. It is too bad Peron picked the wrong side, and decided to back the Axis partners.

Tsch, tsch....! :D:D:D

SaraSara said:
First time I heard the Marshall plan blamed for Argentina's woes. It is too bad Peron picked the wrong side, and decided to back the Axis partners.

Tsch, tsch....! :D:D:D
Actually, my Argentine boyfriend has mentioned this a lot to me. He doesn't blame all of Argentina's problems on it, but he thinks it has had a hand in shaping how things are here now.

azure said:
Actually, my Argentine boyfriend has mentioned this a lot to me. He doesn't blame all of Argentina's problems on it, but he thinks it has had a hand in shaping how things are here now.

Must be a fashionable new excuse - never heard of it. We Args. are experts at blaming everyone but ourselves for the messes we get into.

Bajo_cero2 said:

And here we are.

That's not 100% correct. Marshall plan money was to be used to buy food from US & British commonwealth countries. However, they could use their own money anyway they wanted & could also buy other non-food products from anywhere else. Also, I don't think any SA country got to sell food (that would be paid with US money) to Europe either, not just Argentina.

Back