No more permanent residency!?....

steveinbsas said:
I went to migraciones this morning ...

That's good news Steve. I hope everything works out with your perm application. Keep us posted.

Just an update that with an investionista visa, it appears to be a 3 year residency, but never goes to permanent. That was as of this morning in Bariloche.

steveinbsas said:
I went to migraciones this morning hoping to be able to apply for permanent residency (with a visa rentista/pensionado) on the third renewal (the start of the fourth year). I arrived at 8:00AM and received turno number 8 at the perrogas de permanencia sector. I was called at 8:30, but was then asked to wait a few more minutes for the agent who "specializes" in permanent residency applications.

My papers were reviewed and I was told to return in a week as they need to retrieve my file before they can proceed. I was told that the (updated) letter from my bank (not a CPA) verifying a "stable" income of $1,000 was acceptable. Of course the letter has the seal of the Apostile and was also translated and legalized. I also presented a recent certificado de penales anticedentes. I was asked if I had photocopies of all pages of my passport and my DNI. I also indicated that I had US and Argentine bank statements as well showing the monthly deposits but I was not asked to show them today. As I have a valid DNI, no new certificado de domicilio was needed, and the woman was almost apologetic when she told me I would need to pay $600 pesos this year as opposed to $200 in previous years. Needless to say, I will be very happy to pay it.

I did not use a lawyer or an agency. When I was not sure I understood something, another agent from a nearby desk explained it to me in English.

Steve,

It is my understanding that permanent residency applications are being processed BUT the office of the Registry in Buenos Aires is still not processing DNI renewals. Did you actually receive the third and final stamp on your DNI or were you told that you would receive it at some future time?

Recoleta Carolina said:
Steve,

It is my understanding that permanent residency applications are being processed BUT the office of the Registry in Buenos Aires is still not processing DNI renewals. Did you actually receive the third and final stamp on your DNI or were you told that you would receive it at some future time?

I may not actually have the "permanent residency" for another month (or two) and even then I only expect to receive a piece of paper from migraciones. I will still have to go to the registro to receive the stamp and have them change my status from temporary to permanent. Who knows? Perhaps by then they will have the "new system" up and running. Either way, I don't think there is any urgency to get the stamp. I have no plans to leave the country, but I could probably do so with my DNI and the paper from migraciones, just as I did when I was granted the residencia precaria three years ago (prior to receiving my DNI). If the RNP isn't processing renewals how could there be a "deadline" to do so?

Even when I present my DNI when using my Charles Schwab debit card, no one ever checks the expiration date of my DNI.

My understanding is that to keep permanent residence going you have to be in Argentina at least one day every two years. Is that correct?

sergio said:
My understanding is that to keep permanent residence going you have to be in Argentina at least one day every two years. Is that correct?

That fact was posted by Attorney sometime in the past six months.

I've also read (in another forum) that Article 40 of the Argentine constitution stipulates that citizenship may be granted to an individual who has been living in Argentina (without interruption) for two years, regardless of their "temporary resident" status, but I don't know of anyone who has actually applied for or received Argentine citizenship under this provision.

This morning I read post on anther BA expat site that indicated migraciones was indeed granting permanent residency to those who first received their temporary residency prior to the change in the law, but no exact "cutoff" date was provided. The implication is that those who receive temporary residency (visa rentista or pensionado) after the new regs took effect (this past May?) will need to renew year after year after year, without the possibility of the change from temporary to permanent resident status.

steveinbsas said:
I've also read (in another forum) that Article 40 of the Argentine constitution stipulates that citizenship may be granted to an individual who has been living in Argentina (without interruption) for two years, regardless of their "temporary resident" status, but I don't know of anyone who has actually applied for or received Argentine citizenship under this provision.

Steve, the Argentine constitution doesn't have any regulations on how to acquire citizenship. You may read the whole constitution, in English, at http://www.fandinoabogados.com/english/const_nac.html

On how to obtain Argentine citizenship, you may see http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/360245/how_to_obtain_citizenship_in_argentina.html?cat=17

It took less than a minute (reading the second link posted by Attorney in BA) to see that citizenship may be granted to those who have held permanent resident status for two years:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/360245/how_to_obtain_citizenship_in_argentina.html?cat=17

I did find it rather strange that another article posted by the same author on the same day regarding the permanent resident visa indicated that permanent residency could only be obtained through family ties (contradicting the conditions outlined in the citizenship article):

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/360202/how_to_get_a_permanent_residence_visa.html?cat=17

If migraciones does stop granting the permanent residency on the third renewal to those who weren't in the system prior to the recent change, then it looks like the familiar relationship will be the only route to permanent residency for them.

I received the permanent residency today, albeit with a bit of last minute drama, but nothing serious: my file was "lost" somewhere en route from "headquarters" back to the office of migraciones on Antardida yesterday.

After waiting several hours (this morning) for the file that could not be found, I had to go to another window and request a "replacement" certificate documenting the "cambio de categoria" from temp to permanent and pay $50 pesos as if I had lost the paper...but that was the only immediate solution! I was told it might take two more hours, or two more days or two more months to locate the file...(yikes!). Fortunately, my permanent status was already in the system and accessible via computer.

Now I have six months to go to the registro to have the change entered in my DNI or I will have to return to migraciones and again pay $50 pesos for another "certificate" that will also be valid for six months. I plan to wait for the new "system" to be implemented before I go to the registro. I asked of there would be any problem if I waited and was told that once granted, permanent residency is permanent.

Back