No Wire Transfers Anymore?

YanquiGallego

Registered
Is it impossible to do any sort of wire transfers to the US from Argentina?

Western Union now has a $500 USD/month limit per person and charges out the wazoo.

My US bank (JP Morgan Chase) says that one of the more international banks which they have a relationship with should be able to accomodate a wire transfer for me for a fee, but this is Argentina.

It would not be a huge ¨capital flight¨ type of transaction, but definitely more than $500 USD.

Any ideas? I basically want to stick some cash I literally have under the mattress in safekeeping while I travel briefly to the States, dont want to/cant carry it on me during the travels, and see no viable way of doing this.

How would I use PayPal for cash though? I work with PayPal and actually do have a business account with them, but it´s an amount that I have personally in cash. How would I get that cash into the PayPal account?

Is Pay Pal in Argentina? I don t think so.
What about travellers checks?

oops ... thought you were using a metaphor with "cash under the mattress;)!" If you know someone that you trust here with a local bank, give them the money to deposit and then they can send it to your paypal account.

You're trying to wire yourself money in the US? From an account in Argentina? Short answer, no. Long answer, no way.

You will have to travel with it as with the new restrictions, you won't even be able to withdraw money from your Arg bank account while you are in the US.

LOL, thanks guys, I later kicked myself for asking, to me it seems like a pretty normal thing to do, as I will be in the States and was hoping to have it in my US account once I get there, the icing on the cake was when the lady at Citi Bank told me that even though its not a significant amount, ANY amount leaving would still be considered capital flight and that ¨all of the money must stay in Argentina at this precise moment¨ :p

You will have to travel with it as with the new restrictions, you won't even be able to withdraw money from your Arg bank account while you are in the US.

yes you can but you have to have a dollar account and you have to have dollars in it. but there will be monthly limits on dollar withdrawals and they don't know the rules yet. (i talked to my banker about exactly that, yesterday.) of course why should the banks know the rules yet, it's a whole week away! ha ha...

Back