No Women's Lib In Ba??

I was out with my daughter today, stopped in a restaurant on Corrientes; as we were leaving I opened the door for her and at least 4 women came through the door without so much as a nod. I turned around and proclaimed, loudly "DE NADA".
Firstly, I was opening the door for my daughter, not those women. Secondly - this happens A LOT. and C. (and maybe it's just me but) people leaving trumps people arriving.
Rudeness abounds and I actually see it more from women than men. I think that in BA, there is a culture of people who "expect" things done for them. Perhaps this is why there are so many mucamas and street cleaners. Porteños don't seem to clean up after themselves, and an open door is an opportunity for the receiver and not a gesture by he who does the opening.

It's been awhile since I've been pregnant, thank God, but one thing I remember well was having a terrible sense of balance and taking my time when maneuvering even the slightest incline. I never sit in the areas for disabled or pregnant people anyways when I get on the bus, but with all the lurching and random braking that goes on in these colectivos, I think a pregnant person is best sitting. Hell, it is even difficult for me to keep from toppling over sometimes if it happens to be raining and I have my umbrella in my hand and also need to change the song on my phone!
With that said, I do have this mini-war going on with a woman who apparently lives near me, works near me, and we have spurts of getting off around the same time and, obviously, we take the same bus. No matter what place she has in line, she elbows (or sometimes sort of drifts her way) to the front of the line and gets the first seat, near the bus driver. She won't give up her seat when others come on who clearly need it. Drives me insane and we've had words.
Besides my situation with this woman, I try to be polite when on the bus and have good manners. My Argie partner thinks I'm nuts. If a seat opens up while I am standing, I usually offer it to the person near me if they were there first, even if I am the closest person to the available seat. If I see a person who has a ton of stuff or is exhausted, esp if they are in scrubs (my partner is a med student), I will always offer my seat. I have gotten a lot more relaxed now that my commute is 20 to 40 min long. When I worked in Recoleta, with at least an hour on the bus after a long walk to the bus stop, I was a lot more territorial about it. :rolleyes:
If a man offers me a seat or takes a seat before me, I definitely am not offended by it. I figure that none of us want to be on the bus, are all equally tired. My bus is the 161 'Martelli', and with that said, I am just glad the bus came at all!

I admire women not feminists. Feminists tend to see men as their enemy. This is why most of them are lesbian as well. They turn women into rude macho wanna be's. Men and women have the same rights for everything and anything, but I celebrate the differences. I do not want to be a man.

Seriously? That is about as far from what feminism is about as it is possible to be. And that's especially sad to me that it's a woman saying that. Feminism is simply about believing that women should have equal rights and equal opportunities as men should. Nothing more, nothing less. And I'm very happy to be a feminist. I'm also heterosexual, polite and I'd say pretty far from a "macho wanna be". I'm sure your intention wasn't to be insulting to women but feminists come in all shapes and sizes and your caricature is not at all accurate.

PS - I also am a huge fan of good manners. I love a man that opens a car door for me or the door to a building. I also happily give up my seat on the bus or subway to anyone older than me, be it a man or a woman. I also will always give up my seat or offer a pregnant women to go ahead of me (b/c yes, carrying around an extra 15 or 20 pounds along with the accompanying aches and strains of ligaments stretching and the rest does wear on a body). And while I appreciate a man offering to give me a seat, I typically would decline it.

Argentina has a wonderful history of manners. Too bad much of it is history. I have friends here who are over 70. They tell me of the days when people actually put their trash in trash cans and not in the street, men held doors for women and the women appreciated it, and people were polite to each other and knew how to carry a conversation that was about the other person. These two gentlemen have the most impeccable manners and are incredibly interesting to talk with.

I invite them to coffee just to get schooled in gentlemen ways. :)

I admire women not feminists. Feminists tend to see men as their enemy. This is why most of them are lesbian as well. They turn women into rude macho wanna be's. Men and women have the same rights for everything and anything, but I celebrate the differences. I do not want to be a man.

I am sorry but I find your comments about American women and feminists to be outdated, offensive and small minded. I am a feminist, not a lesbian, and I know many men who would consider themselves feminists as well. I do not want to be a man, nor do I see men as the enemy. Myself and nearly all of my feminist friends are happily married. Also, I am an American woman, but I think it is common human decency to hold the door open for someone, man, woman, old, young, pregnant or whatever. I don't think I'm so unusual in that respect. I find Americans to be some of the friendliest and most helpful people...much kinder than in many parts of the world.

Seriously? That is about as far from what feminism is about as it is possible to be. And that's especially sad to me that it's a woman saying that. Feminism is simply about believing that women should have equal rights and equal opportunities as men should. Nothing more, nothing less. And I'm very happy to be a feminist. I'm also heterosexual, polite and I'd say pretty far from a "macho wanna be". I'm sure your intention wasn't to be insulting to women but feminists come in all shapes and sizes and your caricature is not at all accurate.

PS - I also am a huge fan of good manners. I love a man that opens a car door for me or the door to a building. I also happily give up my seat on the bus or subway to anyone older than me, be it a man or a woman. I also will always give up my seat or offer a pregnant women to go ahead of me (b/c yes, carrying around an extra 15 or 20 pounds along with the accompanying aches and strains of ligaments stretching and the rest does wear on a body). And while I appreciate a man offering to give me a seat, I typically would decline it.

Well said citygirl!! I read this post after I already replied, but cheers to you!

Any " ists " in my book are fanatical and extreme. I do not like that. I do not feel the need to enroll into any movement to defend the obvious either. Feminists in general want to be treated like men and they are not men! most of what they stand for has to do with abortion rights, etc.

I am sorry but I find your comments about American women and feminists to be outdated, offensive and small minded. I am a feminist, not a lesbian, and I know many men who would consider themselves feminists as well. I do not want to be a man, nor do I see men as the enemy. Myself and nearly all of my feminist friends are happily married. Also, I am an American woman, but I think it is common human decency to hold the door open for someone, man, woman, old, young, pregnant or whatever. I don't think I'm so unusual in that respect. I find Americans to be some of the friendliest and most helpful people...much kinder than in many parts of the world.
I don't think I ever referred to American women in particular? I yet have to find a feminist man, that would be interesting. Also one thing is to think that you are feminist and a whole different thing is to actually be an activist. Are you an activist?

I don't think I ever referred to American women in particular? I yet have to find a feminist man, that would be interesting. Also one thing is to think that you are feminist and a whole different thing is to actually be an activist. Are you an activist?

Nikad has never posted anything in the forum to make me think she's anti-feminist. I think her original post was misinterpreted. It's ironic that the OP even started this thread because I haven't heard the term feminist in a long, long time. I just assumed most women are for equality between women and men now days and that the term "feminist" is outdated. I have friends that are lesbians and dress like men, and they don't see men as the enemy nor do they call themselves feminists. I think if I understood correctly, Nikad was referring to extremists, and they exist all over the planet: we can't deny that. She's been very supportive of women's rights and to many women on this forum. Cut her some slack. By the way, the OP started this thread and disappeared when things started to get heated. Where is he?

Back