Not All 100 dollar Bills Are Worth the Same...

Rich One

Registered
Older Dollar bills in cuevas are worth up to $5 pesos less than newer versions...

The government restricted access to the official exchange market, but opened opportunities in parallel market. Those who went to change their bills to the cuevas, blue market, found that "old" models of dollars are bought for a lower value than new ones. The US $ 100 bills in which Benjamin Franklin's bust looks smaller - those of called the "little head" ", as they say on Florida Street - are exchanged by $ 5 less.

1578959560784.png

This may be true for exchanging onesies- but I have never had anyone check a stack of bills and sort out the "little heads" in over ten years here. And if you exchange larger quantities, or work with a cueva or exchange merchant regularly, there is no way they are gonna sweat the little stuff. Electronic counting machines dont care...
If you are exchanging enough US cash to make 5 pesos add up to real money, you usually have enough leverage to get a better rate anyway.

And I can assure you, in real estate transactions, the pile of benjamins is so big nobody is going to go thru and check the head size or age of bills.

Older Dollar bills in cuevas are worth up to $5 pesos less than newer versions...

The government restricted access to the official exchange market, but opened opportunities in parallel market. Those who went to change their bills to the cuevas, blue market, found that "old" models of dollars are bought for a lower value than new ones. The US $ 100 bills in which Benjamin Franklin's bust looks smaller - those of called the "little head" ", as they say on Florida Street - are exchanged by $ 5 less.

View attachment 6507
I have run into this before but not always. I exchanged a $1,000US
This may be true for exchanging onesies- but I have never had anyone check a stack of bills and sort out the "little heads" in over ten years here. And if you exchange larger quantities, or work with a cueva or exchange merchant regularly, there is no way they are gonna sweat the little stuff. Electronic counting machines dont care...
If you are exchanging enough US cash to make 5 pesos add up to real money, you usually have enough leverage to get a better rate anyway.

And I can assure you, in real estate transactions, the pile of benjamins is so big nobody is going to go thru and check the head size or age of bills.
I traded in six of the older C-notes at my favorite cueva recently for the going rate of 74. Infrequently I have seen some cuevas turn their nose up at the older bills.

I have had new $100 bills refused for missing a corner, being written on, having a hole, being creased.

If La Nacion says so, there may be SOME truth to it..!

Not a bad deal considering cambios in other south American countries flatly refuse to take older USD100 notes.

Back