I Was Swindled Out Of $1000 Dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Registered
When I recount this story to fellow expats, I get a number of responses: naive, gullible, stupid, etc., but when I recite it to Argentine friends I always get the same response: boludo...

Here's my sad story:

I met a fellow expat several months ago and we had a casual friendship meeting occasionally at expat events. About a month ago, he told me he was going to Uruguay to get cash and if he could store his stuff in my apartment for a few days. I said sure, thinking it was just a suitcase or two. When he shows up it's two giant duffle bags, a workout bag, and about four shopping bags. Well I have a second bedroom that's unoccupied so it wasn't a problem.

The next week he emailed me he was coming back in a few days and I thought he could bring me back some money from Uruguay. This in retrospect was a stupid mistake because I only knew the person for a couple of months. And I didn't know if the bags contained anything of value as security. This was at the time Xoom was paying less than 10 and Blue was 12.5. A case of penny wise, pound foolish...

Well, he kept extending his stay, because he was having trouble "lining up an apartment". Then he said he'd be flying back to BA to give me my money and pick up his stuff. But then he ran into problems and he'd be there in a few days. This repeated three times and then I asked him to Xoom me the money, which on Thursday he agreed to do the next day, last Friday, but unsurprisingly at that point it never occurred.

Based on some advice, I gave him a schedule that would be followed until he returns my money. First item was to go public with this tonight. Second was to reveal his identity at the end of the week and third was to give his stuff to the homeless guy that lives on my corner at the end of the month (or a charity if one is near by). He didn't respond to that email.

I intend to post to Uruguay forums about this swindle and to try and keep his whereabouts known and publicise it to fellow expats, so that they can avoid being one of his unfortunate victims. I do know he has other victims but they wish to remain confidential - and their problems were not money oriented - as far as I know.

Please don't speculate on his identity at this time, because I promised him not to reveal that to later in the week.

I'd like to know if I have any grounds to file a denuncia in Uruguay or Argentina. I have email transcripts of our conversations. I'm prepared to spend money on this. If I can keep him from victimizing others, then it would be money well spent.

Poor Joe,

luckily it was just $1000! Think about asking him/her to bring 10 times that!

I have been scammed 2 years ago and I can't publicly say who the scammer is. I met that scammer on a reputable Website such as this forum, and other members of that site were scammed like me and contacted me in private to share their experience, but this hasn't stopped the scammer - indeed! I felt angry at those scammed before me for not posting a warning, and when I tried to warn other anonymously, all I got was blackmailing and insults in private perpetrated by the scammer.

So - what's the point of airing out your experience if no name is provided? The scammer's modus operandi might vary from victim to victim, the only steady thing will be the scammer identity.
If the first victim spoke out, there wouldn't be a 2nd, a 3rd and a Joe.

I don't think you'll ever see your money back, but I hope you will be able to cause the scammer troubles when he/she tries to enter Argentina or Uruguay by filing a report against him/her.
Anyway, I suggest you to believe in karma rather than the police.

Its really not clear, was he supposed to pay you for storing his stuff? If you have an extra room to store things so you are not like falling over it I don't see why its such a big deal. Annoying but ...
There is perhaps more to this? You maybe lent money for the trip to Uruguay or something?

Poor Joe,

luckily it was just $1000! Think about asking him/her to bring 10 times that!

I have been scammed 2 years ago and I can't publicly say who the scammer is. I met that scammer on a reputable Website such as this forum, and other members of that site were scammed like me and contacted me in private to share their experience, but this hasn't stopped the scammer - indeed! I felt angry at those scammed before me for not posting a warning, and when I tried to warn other anonymously, all I got was blackmailing and insults in private perpetrated by the scammer.

So - what's the point of airing out your experience if no name is provided? The scammer's modus operandi might vary from victim to victim, the only steady thing will be the scammer identity.
If the first victim spoke out, there wouldn't be a 2nd, a 3rd and a Joe.

I don't think you'll ever see your money back, but I hope you will be able to cause the scammer troubles when he/she tries to enter Argentina or Uruguay by filing a report against him/her.
Anyway, I suggest you to believe in karma rather than the police.

So that scammer is still around and nobody says a word? WTF?

Its really not clear, was he supposed to pay you for storing his stuff? If you have an extra room to store things so you are not like falling over it I don't see why its such a big deal. Annoying but ...
There is perhaps more to this? You maybe lent money for the trip to Uruguay or something?

No man, you got it all wrong! He does not care about the stored stuff, that was just a trick, ie he left some crap at Joe's and that made Joe think he would be back, and would bring his money back. It was obviously a scam.

I intend to post to Uruguay forums about this swindle and to try and keep his whereabouts known and publicise it to fellow expats, so that they can avoid being one of his unfortunate victims. I do know he has other victims but they wish to remain confidential - and their problems were not money oriented - as far as I know.

Please don't speculate on his identity at this time, because I promised him not to reveal that to later in the week.

hmmm... I guess you can just publish a picture of him or her in the forum.
Did you phone him through a land-line phone in Uruguay? How do you know if he is now in Uruguay or he has returned already or if he has ever gone to Uruguay?
If he or she is a member of the forum already I would like to know his nickname at least through PM, whenever it is possible, just in case.
Thanks.

I would like to know the contents of the bags he left at Joes' place.

Before everyone gets mad, let's not hate all the expats (each other). I happened to meet with Joe a few times, I am sure he would trust me to bring at $1000 to him or laptop from US. I have asked other people to bring me $ many times, and I did for other people too. I would consider this is an isolated incident, having said that, next time please make sure know who you are dealing with. There are many good people here, it's still OK to ask for favors, but just be more cautious.

I agree, post the contents of the bags. Might be there's some good stuff in there...

I would like to know the contents of the bags he left at Joes' place.

Before everyone gets mad, let's not hate all the expats (each other). I happened to meet with Joe a few times, I am sure he would trust me to bring at $1000 to him or laptop from US. I have asked other people to bring me $ many times, and I did for other people too. I would consider this is an isolated incident, having said that, next time please make sure know who you are dealing with. There are many good people here, it's still OK to ask for favors, but just be more cautious.

Agreed, lots of good people here, dont let 1 bad apple contaminate all of us.. That said,
Have you looked in his stuff? is there anything of value that he may have reason to return for? If not, probably you wont see your money..Unfortunatly, a denuncia will probably be a waste of your money and the best thing would be to publicaly advise here and there (Uruguay) so that no one else gets caught up in his scame..

On a seperate note.... When you say" I get a number of responses: naive, gullible, stupid, etc., but when I recite it to Argentine friends I always get the same response: boludo..."
is there a difference? I always thought boludo was the same as what your expat friends said, minus the naive..

Reactions: Joe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back