Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Others

Votes: 14 12.0%

• Total voters
ElQueso said:
(Big Snip)
I complain equally in the US when I'm there, about things that drive me crazy. People who never complain are either saints or postal workers waiting to explode :)

The poll results should be interesting because, while we might think of expats as a unified group coping with the cultural differences involved in living in Argentina, there are probably just as significant cultural differences between ourselves.

Going through my earlier stages of learning Spanish, I used to regularly visit a local (UK) remainder bookshop and buy up any cheap, CD-based Spanish courses just so that I could listen to different people saying different things in different ways. I've had British ones, of course, a Polish one, a Spanish one (in much the same way that the BBC offers English courses) and one from the USA. They were all completely different in their approach.

Probably the most useful was the Berlitz course from the USA because it was the only one I came across that was out and out Latin American Spanish. But to a Brit like me, the cultural differences were painful! Whole sections on complaining - even supplements and bonus sections about making complaints. And there were other issues too. Now I realise that the American culture of complaining has behind it the very positive aim of trying to help a business learn and grow and that that has a lot to do with the success of many US businesses but most Brits don't complain in day-to-day situations - they just take their business elsewhere.

So what am I rambling on about here? Two things I suppose. One is to show a little more tolerance towards other expats: we are not a homogeneous group but individals from a myriad of different cultural backgrounds with a myriad different reasons for coming to Argentina. The other is to show a little more tolerance and humility about the host country - even, I would argue, when native-born Argentinians don't. There is an element here of 'I can be rude about my sister, but if you are rude about my sister, I'll punch your lights out.' Or is that just a cultural thing?

I am from the US & I reference it in my posts because it's my basis of comparison so I am giving a frame of reference for my viewpoint.

What I think you will find is that many of the US-centric posts (usually dealing with politics and usually negative) aren't started by people from the US. But obviously, you will find a great deal of people from the US responding to those.

Funny, the last time I noted that people should either stop complaining so much or go home, I met with rampant criticism and one rather vicious insult.

But seriously, anyone who expects ARG to be the same as or even similar to the US should have their heads examined before getting on the airplane.

wineguy999 said:
Funny, the last time I noted that people should either stop complaining so much or go home, I met with rampant criticism and one rather vicious insult.

But seriously, anyone who expects ARG to be the same as or even similar to the US should have their heads examined before getting on the airplane.

ANYONE coming to Arg should have their heads examined before getting on the plane, anyone not proven insane should go back.:D
It's one big happy home Ha Ha hehehoh ho, join in Napoleon they're playing your tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

tangobob said:
ANYONE coming to Arg should have their heads examined before getting on the plane, anyone not proven insane should go back.:D
It's one big happy home Ha Ha hehehoh ho, join in Napoleon they're playing your tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

I've noted a lack of pro-wrestling and stock car racing since I came to Argentina. When will they catch-up and add these items to the cultural menu?

gouchobob said:
I've noted a lack of pro-wrestling and stock car racing since I came to Argentina. When will they catch-up and add these items to the cultural menu?

I see WWE playing on tv from time to time, FX channel I think.

The poll does not allow for people with dual nationality to register both!

irishvan said:
The poll does not allow for people with dual nationality to register both!
Choose one. Judging from your on-screen handle, you already have.

Maybe we should have a sub line on the poll for us Irish - seems to be a fair number of us here - Then again, our economy has hit he skids, so much so, that a leading World Economist says Ireland is in danger of becoming the next Argentina (referring to the 2001 crash). Maybe many of us have come here to sample the real deal, rather than an Irish version ;) (OK, just in case you wern't sure, that was me being funny!)...

Back