Not so new here but still d:

bjorkista

Registered
Hi :)
I'm Lyvia and I'm actually from Brazil, but lived in the US for the past 3 years... I've moved from there straight to Buenos Aires last year to go to med school here. I miss lots and lots of things US-related and I hope I can find some great tips here! :)
x

Wellcome, and my advise is: if they cant come with you then be in touch with them by internet, cards, e-mails, and make a lots of friends here, fortunatelly is not so hard to do it in ARg.

Thanks! :) I do have a couple friends here, all Argentinians... but it would be nice to have some english speaking people around for a change heh :)

bjorkista said:
Thanks! :) I do have a couple friends here, all Argentinians... but it would be nice to have some english speaking people around for a change heh :)

Hola! My name is Katie and I'm from the US. I've been living in Buenos Aires for over a month now, working and taking Spanish classes. I actually have been having the opposite problem - I want to learn Spanish/the culture and meet Argentineans but because of the language gap, it's difficult/nearly impossible.

I've met tons of international people who speak English (some from the states, others from Europe) in my Spanish classes, which you obviously don't need, but perhaps you could work/volunteer at an international school and use your English there. Unfortunately, a majority of the students are only staying in BsAs for a short amount of time (including me), so if you're looking for long time friends here in BsAs then that might not be the best place. However, I have met a few who are staying for longer (a year or so).

Besides international schools, baexpats.org (obviously) can be a great place to meet people from the states - just search the forums and start introducing yourself.

If you want to meet up and talk about US-related things, let me know. I'm leaving in three weeks, and although I love this city, and am starting to miss the states and being around English-speakers. :)

P.S. Apparently, Gibraltar in San Telmo is a good place to meet English speakers, too: http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/17218-newcomer-ba.html

well it.s 5.45 am and I,m just back from the Gibraltar,where were you??

asadofan said:
well it.s 5.45 am and I,m just back from the Gibraltar,where were you??

If you're talking to me, I actually went there around 10 and met Kris17, plus two other people from couchsurfing.com actually. I didn't see (or hear) anyone else speaking English, so a couple of us left around 1 to go to another place. Just got back myself...

Hey guys! I'm so sorry, I couldn't make it last night! I was studying, I have a test coming up, and thought I could use some fresh air, but when I glanced at the clock it was almost 1am ):
I hope you guys had the best time!! Still up for some nice lunch or coffee if anyone's interested... :)

bjorkista said:
Hey guys! I'm so sorry, I couldn't make it last night! I was studying, I have a test coming up, and thought I could use some fresh air, but when I glanced at the clock it was almost 1am ):
I hope you guys had the best time!! Still up for some nice lunch or coffee if anyone's interested... :)

I could go for some lunch or coffee/tea at some point some time this week. Let me know when you're free. :)

frankcat said:
I could go for some lunch or coffee/tea at some point some time this week. Let me know when you're free. :)

Hi! That would be great! How about some coffee on Friday late afternoon? :) Can anyone else make it?

Back