Notifying the SSA of moving to Argentina

My question arises from the fact that here (OH) I cannot find precise answers to the issues that happens when emigrating from the US. One tries to prepare the path as best as possible and smooth out future difficulties.

You are correct about local offices not being able to provide an accurate answer. I visited three different places and received three different answers, giving me the impression that they were improvising. It seems that a recipient living outside the USA is a rare occurrence in my area.

I am planning to move to Argentina. I would like to ask how retirees here have handled notifying ‌ the SSA of their move. I am not entirely sure if I will stay in Argentina for a few months, a year, or several years. I have Medicare Part A and B and intend to keep them, regardless of the length of my stay. Thank you for any advice.
Come to Argentina, but keep a US address there if you can. After a year of living in Argentina and if and when you know you will be living here much longer, let SSA know. There is no downside. I think ideally I would use an address of a reliable relative or a friend for many things, such as bank accounts, credit cards, FBI certificate, etc... I assume one has to have a US address to have a US bank account and a US credit card, or is that an incorrect assumption?

Don't say a word...not a peep....have a U.S. address....have your U.S. bank account....keep the U.S. address....in other words...just keep quiet
I live here permanently. Social Security is aware of this. I get sent a proof of life letter from SS every two years. If it is not returned, my SS check would be stopped. My monthly check is direct deposited to my US bank account. My bank is also aware I live in Argentina.

Come to Argentina, but keep a US address there if you can. After a year of living in Argentina and if and when you know you will be living here much longer, let SSA know. There is no downside. I think ideally I would use an address of a reliable relative or a friend for many things, such as bank accounts, credit cards, FBI certificate, etc... I assume one has to have a US address to have a US bank account and a US credit card, or is that an incorrect assumption?
The main dilemma for me is the address issue. The correct address seems to be the pivot that would make everything work smoothly. My bank, as well as other banks I have inquired with, require a physical address in the US. A credit union I opened an account with told me that not having a US address would not be an issue.

I live here permanently. Social Security is aware of this. I get sent a proof of life letter from SS every two years. If it is not returned, my SS check would be stopped. My monthly check is direct deposited to my US bank account. My bank is also aware I live in Argentina.
The US bank is ok with your address in Argentina? I currently live in the US but am thinking of moving to Argentina and was wondering about that. I want to keep my US bank and retirement accounts.

The US bank is ok with your address in Argentina? I currently live in the US but am thinking of moving to Argentina and was wondering about that. I want to keep my US bank and retirement accounts.
I still use my address in Arizona. It has never been challenged. I use my bank branch in the town I lived in. How would they know I don't keep a second home in the states?

Back