Now I feel like a local - our first lawsuit ;)

citygirl

Registered
While I can't post details, I have to admit - I feel this is just another oh so fun right of passage. I received notice today that an employee who quit without notice is suing for a lot of money. (and by a lot, I mean several times his annual salary). Again - this is an employee who walked off the job, not as a result of any action on our part. He has completely and 100% fabricated claims without any basis in fact.

Unbelievable. Luckily everything we did is en blanco and he really has no case but now we'll need to pay thousands to defend ourselves against this frivolous lawsuit.

My lawyers comment - "Oh, totally normal, he's just hoping you pay him X so that he goes away. He knows its BS, his lawyer knows it's BS but it would be cheaper to just pay him something than go to court. That is how the system works here.":mad:

This is what employers have to look forward to here.

You're not alone. This has happened to just about everyone I know that owns a business here. You're gonna end up paying him just to go away. You'll be lucky if it's only like 4 months salary. Good thing everything was " en blanco " or it could have been much worse.

I'm afraid situations like this have become the vogue. Employers are becoming afraid to hire anyone any more, simply because the employees have more rights than the employers. Businesses are becoming the pariahs of this country. I don't know what the employees will do when there are no more employers; protest I suppose.

@citygirl; good luck and I hope in the end things work out in your favor. Running a biz is very stressful. I can't imagine what it must be to run one here here with all these issues. But do please keep us posted. I do enjoy and have learned much from your posts. :)

Good luck Citygirl. You seem to be well acquainted with the ins-and-outs of Argentine business practice and unpractice so I have faith that you will weather this fine.

We knew it was coming, today was just the official notice of the amount he is seeking. Which made me jaw drop:eek:

I'll update everyone after the hearing next month, hopefully it will go smoothly. (not holding my breath).

It's good that everything was done "en blanco." Did he really just walk off the job, or did he just stop showing up? Geesh. Either way, it's unbelievable that people think they can just sue when they don't want to show up -- more if they just walk out. Keep us posted!

Good luck CityGirl, you likely did everything alright so it's an usual game that's being played here (guy asking 20K or whatever to grab 5).

Just wondering on what legal grounds the guy/gal is sueing.

Sorry to hear about this, though unfortunately not surprised. My partner recently had to pay off an ex-employee of her father's... although the company went out of business long ago and the father's been dead for 4 years, the employee could and did sue the heirs. What a waste of time, money, and emotional energy.

citygirl said:
While I can't post details, I have to admit - I feel this is just another oh so fun right of passage. I received notice today that an employee who quit without notice is suing for a lot of money. (and by a lot, I mean several times his annual salary). Again - this is an employee who walked off the job, not as a result of any action on our part. He has completely and 100% fabricated claims without any basis in fact.

Unbelievable. Luckily everything we did is en blanco and he really has no case but now we'll need to pay thousands to defend ourselves against this frivolous lawsuit.

My lawyers comment - "Oh, totally normal, he's just hoping you pay him X so that he goes away. He knows its BS, his lawyer knows it's BS but it would be cheaper to just pay him something than go to court. That is how the system works here.":mad:

This is what employers have to look forward to here.

Welcome to the club no expat business owner wants to join but where membership is absolutely inevitable. You have my sympathies and offer of legal contacts if needs be. You won`t win by fighting them, its 99.9% sure unless you have videos and audio of someone stealing your property at work but at leeast drag the whole thing out and out up a decent fight.:(

Back