Now I feel like a local - our first lawsuit ;)

I suppose hiring some muscle to do a little old fashioned threatening is out of the question? Some bulky merco-sur blokes to whom one might rather pay the 5k to than to the blackmailer...? Now there's a niche business opportunity...

tez said:
I suppose hiring some muscle to do a little old fashioned threatening is out of the question? Some bulky merco-sur blokes to whom one might rather pay the 5k to than to the blackmailer...? Now there's a niche business opportunity...

John Goodman may be available*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ApgdIQisic

*WARNING! "Adult" language. (scene from The Big Lebowski)

Sorry kiddo, this is your practice run for coming attractions. You, after all, are the evil enemy business owner. If the employees don't get you, the government will. Sorry to sound negative, but this stuff is day to day and the bigger you grow the more time you will waste in court. Oh yes, and there is no jury and judges can be bought cheaply. You may want to avoid appearing in court and send a trusted local or be prepared to pay the Yankee price.

Anyone know if or what of the consequences of simply not forking over the cash if a judgement is reached in court?

just out of curiosity ..what kind/type of business do u guys own/operate citygirl ? -

(u guys hiring ? )

Your ex-employee is somewhere between a black-mailer and a bully. it really sucks that you are in this situation, but i would fight it with all the means available. I have seen one employee's "settlement" cause the other employees to group together for the easy payout!. Sadly here the 'derecho de piso' never seems to end.
I wish you lots of luck and patience!

Yes, this is definitely par for the course here. My husband is a lawyer - for the employER not employee- and cases just like this one are his bread and butter. (The jam on top comes from AFIP intimations and city government clausuras)

very sorry to hear it. this is part of the reason why we have decided to shut down here in BA after 2 years and move to Colombia instead. Good luck with it!

NikBaires said:
Anyone know if or what of the consequences of simply not forking over the cash if a judgement is reached in court?

Well, I know someone who was sued by his maid after a year of working for him en negro and after the court gave her (wait for it) 40,000 pesos in damages:eek: and he didn't pay, his local bank accounts were frozen and technically (although I'm not sure how it would work in reality) the courts can issue some type of decree that makes it impossible for you to leave the country until you pay up.

ETA - thanks to everyone for the PMs and offers of contacts. We do have a local lawyer here who is handling all of this and now we're just in a wait and see mode. Once this finishes up and I can share the details, I will. It's too good not to - I still have a hard time believing it.

Back