Now I Want To Get Married And They Wont Let Me

jeff1234

Registered
Some of you may remember that awhile back I posted that I was finally ready to marry my Argie sweetheart.

Since then I've been mired in Argie bureaucracy and am starting to think that a Las Vegas wedding makes more sense.

We spent the last month getting a copy of my divorce documents from New Jersey (even though this makes no sense to me). The Marriage Registry trusts me when I say that I am not married today, so why don't they trust me when I say that a previous marriage ended in divorce?

We finally got the documents this week and took them to the translator. Today the Marriage Registry told us that I need to have the American Consulate certify that these divorce papers are valid. I can't imagine how they can do this but I wrote to them anyway.

Maybe the Consulate can go back in a time machine and photograph me standing in the courtroom while my wife's attorneys cleaned me out?

Has anyone else been through this?
Should I give up and go to Vegas?

We went through similar, but I'll spare you most of the gory details.
My ex and I were married in England and divorced in Spain.
Argentina insists on some sort of recognition from the registry in England that I was divorced.
Since it wasn't a requirement for the Spanish lawyer to ratify it in England, such a document doesn't exist.
I often get the impression that tramites here are rubber stamping jobs on bits of paper that no one will ever look at again.

Actually, I have to confess that we are considering just doing it and telling them we're single anyway.

When I got married in Olavarría, the Registro Civil people wondered whether I understood the language well enough to know what I was getting into. I did even then, but I have a better idea now.

Moral of the story. Play dumb and say you were never married. Don't make more bureaucracy than needed

Moral of the story. Play dumb and say you were never married. Don't make more bureaucracy than needed

Thats what I thought. My sweetie, who's been dealing with Argie bureaucracy for a long time, says thats asking for trouble since my immigration documents say that I'm divorced.

Maybe "argie bureaucracy" is fate's way of telling you not to get married...

Back