Now Police Can Ask You For The Dni You Don't Have

I have no idea of his age, but of course I know people who lived through the 70's horrors. Am just astounded that the policies of the military gov't of 35 years ago would be projected forward 35 years and implied to be the new administration's policy???

Everyone and every society should be suspicious of the authorities and the police. That is why we have due process, habeas corpus and making it difficult for the police to ask for ID.
It is just that those who lived under a dictatorship tend to remember those things a little better, specially in a place like Argentina.

Surely in The Dictatorship of Happiness they'll drag you kicking and screaming to Parque de la Costa in Tigre, make you try all the rides and then tickle you to death.

I think a lot of you are missing the point. As the title clearly states ... "sin motivos de sospecha." I think this is a pretty big change in Argentina.

Obviously the police ask you for ID during a traffic stop. This happens in every country on Earth, no? What isn't ubiquitous is the idea that the police can ask for your ID without suspicion that you have committed a crime.

In theory, in the US, you are not required to carry an ID if you are just walking down the street. (I'm not talking about driving, flying, etc. so don't get your panties in a knot). That's why stop and frisk is so controversial.

I don't agree with Bajo's hyperbolic statement about the impending torture state, but I can understand his concerns.

I will agree that I'm not crazy about the "sin motives de sospecha" part. I just loathe fear/loathing-driven hyperbole.

Bajo: thank you for the more civil tone.

Sleslie: whose panties? The forum guys? That's a visual image I'd rather not have --

glasgowjohn:
Right you are.The Kirchneristas never tortured anyone.I'm still laughing over Marcelo Mallo's Hinchas Unidas comment as to why they had a "picana--electric cattle prod" used for torture during the Military Dictatorship in their house.
First his lawyer said it was a hobby item and after he was let go Marcelo said they used it as a Magic Click to light the gas burners.
Gotta' love these "punteros kichneristas" .What talent for comedy!

Only for those expats who lived under a totalitarian regime might understand what this means, all others need to stfu and learn, you ain't in kansas anymore.
They will use and abuse their power no doubt about it and for once in a long time i agree with the good doktor.
Once you are detained or arrested, you are royaly fucked :)

This video must be suspect . The Kirchnerite police did not torture anyone during the 12 yeras in power. At least thats what I have been told

You mean the 2 police men who were sentenced to 8 years in jail for that video?

http://informatesalta.com.ar/noticia/88545/confirman-condena-por-torturas-al-ex-jefe-de-trata-de-personas

Thank you for the video, this is what happend when police can arrest you without the order of a judge. As you can read in the link, he was arrested for taking the fingerprints...

This is also what happend with police men who torture during the last administration. They were not protected, instead, they were persecuted.

You know, by 2003 i was working regarding prosecuting police men in cases of torture and homicide in fake shootings.

Part of my work was to write reports with a list of police men involved in those crimes to avoid them to be promoted. Presidents used to make asados with my informs.

But when NK read it, he dismissed them from the force and ordered to criminally investigate them. That is why I respect him and his wife CFK.

So, if torture happend, it was isolated. The background we have now allows that it might become the standard procedure.

I think a lot of you are missing the point. As the title clearly states ... "sin motivos de sospecha." I think this is a pretty big change in Argentina.

Obviously the police ask you for ID during a traffic stop. This happens in every country on Earth, no? What isn't ubiquitous is the idea that the police can ask for your ID without suspicion that you have committed a crime.

In theory, in the US, you are not required to carry an ID if you are just walking down the street. (I'm not talking about driving, flying, etc. so don't get your panties in a knot). That's why stop and frisk is so controversial.

I don't agree with Bajo's hyperbolic statement about the impending torture state, but I can understand his concerns.

In theory but in my XP in the USA you must carry ID when walking down the street, if asked for any reason. Otherwise will take you to the station for ID verification ...! I

Also in Recoleta for the last 10 years when the police spots some "suspicious" men that belong in the villa asks them for ID and have them sitting on the ground for a while while verifying ID via radio ...! in case arrest warrants may exist.

Back