NY Post: What's the deal with Buenos Aires?

SaraSara said:
What is the city like? I've never been there, but may be driving to Puerto Madryn in the Spring, and it looks like a good stopping point. Do you know of a hotel that takes dogs? I have a small fluffy cockapoo - in many hotels she rates as a stuffed toy.

Sara asked about Bahia Blanca. It's a mini BA (pop 350K) with clean streets, drivers that scarcely use their horns, a super nice centro comercial with lots of shops but no ethnic restaurants. The people are also very nice and I can understand what they are saying!

They actually speak SPANISH!

Sorry, I don't know about hotels that accept dogs.

SaraSara said:
That's exactly what I fear. Now, why don't they eat cake if they cannot buy bread? ::confused::D:confused:
They will....just as soon as you leave the ATM. [I share the wor:mad:ry]

steveinbsas said:
I got the impression from reading this article that Ciudad Buneos Aires is basically a pseudo-European shithole, and after living there for four years I have to agree.

I'm confused as to why you are still living here. BA certainly doesn't need grumpy shitty old men like you, who spend their days voicing their complaints on blogs, living here!

Elspeth said:
I'm confused as to why you are still living here. BA certainly doesn't need grumpy shitty old men like you, who spend their days voicing their complaints on blogs, living here!

Hahaha!.

Can't you read?

I don't live there anymore.

And it is a shithole compared to any city of its size in Europe.

I'm just happy that in your first post ever you made yourself look stupid

And bitchy.

For your information, I am home.

Here: http://www.remax.com.ar/PublicListingFull.aspx?lKey=91babcc3-4c00-4ba0-a557-2c1e4c15f884&Index=3

I spend most of my days working outside. I'm looking forward to planting the garden, being able to use the pool, and having my Argentine and other expat friends come for the weekends.

I know it's possible you're the author of the article in the thread or just another member posting under a new name. If you really are a newcomer, I suggest that you read more of my posts before pasintg a label on me...not that I care.

And, for your information, I am not a shitty or grumpy old man. I'm a dirty old man who prefers much younger women who are happy to jump my bones rather than confused women of any age who only jump to conclusions.

steveinbsas said:
...And, for your information, I am not a shitty or grumpy old man. I'm a dirty old man who prefers much younger women who are happy to jump my bones rather than confused women of any age who only jump to conclusions.

Hah! Love it.

And, c'mon, people, you all know that Buenos Aires is a pseudo-European shithole. Even if you love the place, there's no need to go into denial about it. Most Argentines are so desperate to see themselves as European that Argentina barely has a national identity of its own. There are many Argentines who so favor their European dream over their South American reality that it's not all that difficult to convince them to do things that are borderline treasonous (like selling all of Argentina's natural resources and infrastructure to European companies).

If you love BA, great. But, c'mon, it's a pseudo-European shithole and you know it.

Elspeth said:

I think you did make a mistake and it's okay your misunderstanding but very wrong to accuse steveinbsas because you didn't read at least a few posts from him, if you do I'm sure you will change your mind.

ssr said:
Hah! Love it.
Most Argentines are so desperate to see themselves as European that Argentina barely has a national identity of its own. There are many Argentines who so favor their European dream over their South American reality that it's not all that difficult to convince them to do things that are borderline treasonous (like selling all of Argentina's natural resources and infrastructure to European companies).

Just in case someone is interested: middle class Args. see themselves as Europeans because many of them are, in fact, 100% ethnically European. The Spaniards, and later Roca, had a policy of exterminating the natives to make room for cattle, so there was much less crossbreeding here than in other SA countries. Uruguay is the same.

Now, about the "identity" thing. After many years' absence I returned to Argentina and was surprised to see that the locals have a newfound interest in the country and all things Argentine - they drink mate, dance tango, listen to Atahualpa, and summer in San Martin de los Andes or Carilo instead of in Punta del Este. The latest craze in fancy furniture upholstery fabric are handwoven Altiplano aguayos.

When I was growing up, mate and tango were considered social no-nos, fit only for the working classes. Now they are both fashionable.

So, in my view, Argentines are no longer that interested in seeing themselves as misplaced Europeans. Surprisingly enough, they like being Argentines. They complain constantly about the government - which, in fact, keeps selling the country's natural resources and infrastructure to the highest briber - but they love Argentina. This is puzzling, considering all they have to put up with, but they do.

Well, I really don't know how I got here - just rambling, I guess.

End of speech.

I believe that Argentines are disliked by many due to this reason alone their europeaness and their strong culture in Buenos Aires. Many expats say that the argentine is arrogant or rude when in actual fact they are friendlier than most europeans but combined with a reserve that is unique in Latin America.

The culture in Argentina has become more defined in the last 10 years and their is a new identity forming that is from the south of the equator . I see this as a positive change .

Back