NYC Airbnb New Regulations, Will BA follow?

does airbnb deduct any taxes??
Nope. None whatsoever. They only deduct their 3% commission that the seller pays to Airbnb. Here is a real life example of an actual payment I just got for one of my apartments. You can see it's from August 1 to September 21 and I netted $2,635.49 US dollars.

This is my point. Milei could easily just simply work with Airbnb to instantly at the booking level charge X% and that money goes directly to Argentina. It's not paid by the owners (or he could add on some % for owners too and I'd be ok with it). Mexico started doing this earlier this year. Was painful at first as they add on some additional taxes for owners. But it helps out Mexico. That's why you start to see the Mexican exchange rate getting so strong. They are implementing small things like this across every possible thing. Plus near shoring is helping.

But Argentina has to start somewhere. Imagine if they were charging X% on every single Airbnb rental and it goes to the government to help the people.

And some people may be thinking to themselves. Wow that's a lot of money for an apartment rental! But it's only like $51 US a night when it's all said and none. Much cheaper than a hotel at much more space. The Russian women moved from another crappy Airbnb that was cheaper but she said it was horrible. She is so thrilled and said it's her "dream" to be in a place like this. Win/win for everyone. It could be for Argentina too.

Attachments

• Airbnb Chaching.jpg
    Airbnb Chaching.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 10
Here is an actual example on a recent stay from one of my properties I own in Mexico. It's only for 8 night. But see what a difference it is for the Mexican government. On EVERY single Airbnb (or other booking platforms) they are making tons of money. Look at the breakdown of how much taxes Mexico is getting. This is just an 8 night stay.

If Milei wins, I have many ideas that I think he could easily implement that will bring in tremendous revenue. Everyone has to do their fair share and part for the recovery of Argentina.

Attachments

• Mexico airbnb.jpg
    Mexico airbnb.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 13
They are finally trying to regulate the short-term rentals which will be good. I'd estimate 25% to 40% of locals will pull out of Airbnb if they have to let AFIP know they are doing it. Many don't want the exposure. But for foreigners this will actually be good as they don't care if they have to register and already forced to pay taxes.

So net/net this should ultimately end up being great for ex-pats that own real estate and doing Airbnb's with less competition.

For anybody interested, last week, BBC Radio 4 did a briefing on Airbnb mostly from the UK perspective.

You can download it as a podcast or listen on ine here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001q104
Those guys are SUPER sharp. I know all of them and spoken to them a few times. It's amazing to watch what they have built. I remember the first days when they started when they brute force pushed it so every time owners posted their property it pushed the ads out to Craigslist. They have come a long way!

Ireland is going through a similar housing rental crisis as BA, Irish activist groups suggest the government should put a cap on rental prices and also consider housing as a constitutional right. Young Irish are leaving the country for better pastures.They want MORE government Controls..!

Last edited:
Back