NYC Bagels

Like Popper, I ordered a dozen bagels from Bagelzo last week and now that I've eaten them all, I'm happy to report that I was also pleased with them. I froze them and thawed them over the course of the week. Fyi, the Coto on Scalabrini Ortiz has Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

Michelle said:
Like Popper, I ordered a dozen bagels from Bagelzo last week and now that I've eaten them all, I'm happy to report that I was also pleased with them. I froze them and thawed them over the course of the week. Fyi, the Coto on Scalabrini Ortiz has Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

Hey, Michelle! We´re very glad to hear that! Thanks again and be welcome to get in touch with us at any moment!! Have a nice week!

I have to say that I with much anticipation tried the bagels today from bagelazo and was very dissappointed.

On the Positive side
I Ordered by mail for delivery to an office in downtown the next day and they arrived on time and still warm from the oven. They were courteous and prompt in their responses in mail as well as their delivery person.

But...

1. They do not look like your normal bagel. They are bigger..white (not browned)
2.The bread tastes much closer to an unsalted Thomas English muffin than a New York Bagel.
3.It is way too spongy and too sweet
4. It does not even feel like a bagel.
5. It is much Heavier both in weight in ones hand and once eaten.

I am not saying it is not a nice bread but I have got to say that for me this just is not a bagel..more like an unsalted english muffin with a little hole.

I went to Amaranta in Recoleta, it says "Bagels" on the front window, bought a couple, couldn't finish eating them, they were so dry and hard I thought they sold me the plastic dummies they use for exhibition, and they are not cheap at all! I trusted them and didn't really check the order, I didn't think they would sell me such old shitty bagels but they did and now I don't recommend this place any more.

DON'T buy bagels at Amaranta!

Thanks, Kevin, for your comment, really appreciate that!
We´re at the beggining, always learning, studying, and your feedback is very useful!
We hope that in the near future we can fulfill your expectations, in the case that you leave us " the door open"!
Thanks again and have a nice week!

Bagelazo said:
Thanks, Kevin, for your comment, really appreciate that!
We´re at the beggining, always learning, studying, and your feedback is very useful!
We hope that in the near future we can fulfill your expectations, in the case that you leave us " the door open"!
Thanks again and have a nice week!

As i said it is not that i do not like the bread you baked...I did like them ...they are nice..and they are tasty...add a bit of salt and toasted they really taste like Thomas english muffin which i like ...just not NYC bagels:eek:

Thank you, again, Kevin! That´s nice to hear!

Just for the record, we don´t pretend to bake a specific type of bagel...our recipe is pretty old, a family recipe. If that could be considerer a "type" of bagel, welcome!

My name is Humberto and i own Amaranta, I apologize if we sale you hard and old bagels as you said. Please let us make it up to you.
Send us an E-mail with your home adress or just give us a call and we will give you 12 fresh baked bagels.
It was never our intention.
:(
best regards.
humberto rodas
zork said:
I went to Amaranta in Recoleta, it says "Bagels" on the front window, bought a couple, couldn't finish eating them, they were so dry and hard I thought they sold me the plastic dummies they use for exhibition, and they are not cheap at all! I trusted them and didn't really check the order, I didn't think they would sell me such old shitty bagels but they did and now I don't recommend this place any more.

While I can't speak to Zork's experience, I have never had anything but a really good bagel at Amaranta, both eating there and buying them to take out. Hopefully he/she will take Humberto's offer to heart and give them a try again. Also looking forward to trying Bagelazo's offerings - one can never have too many bagels available!

zork said:

I have to also say I love Amaranta- not just for the bagels, but the rest of the menu full of things I know we're all craving. I work around the corner from Amaranta so I've started getting toasted bagels to go with cream cheese and marmalade for only 7 pesos. They also have great bunch menus (eggs benedict, waffles, pancakes, french toast, maple syrup, etc) a good coffee bar and great lunch options (quesadillas, bbq chicken, ranch dressing, etc.)

Just my 2 cents but I'm definitely a fan.

Back