NYC Bagels

I´ve been making my onw bagels for 6 years but even I`m tempted by Amaranta after all the positive comments...have taken note to go visit thsi weekend.
I´d also love a bagel expert to tell me how to get my bagels to be as smooth as a baby`s bottom..mine have a little more of a cellulite look sadly!

Since we're sharing bagel experiences...I bought a bag of bagels at Natural Deli (on Laprida) for a brunch the next day. When I got to them they were full of mold. I had asked the salesperson when they were made and he told me that same day..... expensive too....never again.
Nora

fifs2 said:
I´ve been making my onw bagels for 6 years but even I`m tempted by Amaranta after all the positive comments...have taken note to go visit thsi weekend.
I´d also love a bagel expert to tell me how to get my bagels to be as smooth as a baby`s bottom..mine have a little more of a cellulite look sadly!

I've been tempted to make bagels myself. I'll try to make anything once. But my bread hasn't been coming out great (not used to the yeast here) so I've not moved on to bagels yet.

Are you kneading your dough with a machine? I think you need to knead more to get the dough smooth. I'm sure Cassiem will know. I hope she pops in.

BTW, Amaranta has closed.

I think I´m under kenading as my wrists are ready to fall off after a 20 min or so manual stint as recommended by Nigella. I used to think food mixers etc detracetd from the glory of being a demoestic goddess...but for Bagel perfection I can forego my principles....

Woah, bagels are quite the hot topic! Basically I haven't found a decent bagel yet, so I have pretty much given up hope - yet I still continue to order it despite my extremely low expectations. So far I've tried Amaranta (closed), Oui Oui (tastes like yeasty bread), Tartine (decent), Starbucks (8 pesos for regular bread), Bar 6 (unmemorable)

Best bet? Make them yourself! I have done it a handful of times since I've been here (by hand, i'm too poor for a fancy machine). The yeast here definitely does alter the taste, so it took me a couple trials before I could get it down.

fifs2 said:
I think I´m under kenading as my wrists are ready to fall off after a 20 min or so manual stint as recommended by Nigella. I used to think food mixers etc detracetd from the glory of being a demoestic goddess...but for Bagel perfection I can forego my principles....

I also knead by hand & it just isn't enough. Sadly we are going to have to make the investment in an electric mixer... I can't believe Nigella kneads her dough by hand.... I think she has some minions do it for her! ;)

Back