NYC to Buenos Aires - question on cost of living

It's about 70 m2. In any event I think I want to rent a room and live with roommates my first year in Buenos Aires so that I can meet some people and make friends. I think that's doable in Palermo area. If I'm way off base please let me know.

Hi

I think you need to take a long-term view of your life, especially in light of the recent financial situation. IMO a young professional should work to make as much money as possible, while possible, and nail down some paid-for assets - a house or condo, maybe some savings in a variety of currencies, some gold.

What you would be doing is leaving a well-paid job in a developed, albeit shaking economy to come to a backward-treading economy with unknown inflation. Yes, I love BA and have spent over a year here but I would not want to be married to this economy with respect to my earning potential.

If you want to explore the world, there are other ways to do it that will leave you more entact financially and help you build your asset base over several years. Take a long-term perspective. Try for a job in Switzerland, or Australia, or Canada, for example. These countries have strong economies and you will gain valuable experience and have rewarding times without jeoparding your finances.

You are extremely fortunate to be able to earn what you do - I know it came with hard work, but somewhere there was perspective about what was valuable. Of course money is only part of it, but try telling the 20 million unemployed Americans that it doesn't count.

Remember happiness is an inside job. What can you do to create the life you want and continue to work to gain paid-for assets.

Just my thoughts.

A nice 40 m2 appartment will cost you around 1000 dollar(even with garantia) a standard about 500-600 and a nice one 1500 dollar

Never start with taking taxi, they are really worthless, unless the odd late night out and you find yourself alone as a woman

zmr said:
It's about 70 m2. In any event I think I want to rent a room and live with roommates my first year in Buenos Aires so that I can meet some people and make friends. I think that's doable in Palermo area. If I'm way off base please let me know.

Doable if you share, if you rent a 2 bedroom appartement in Palermo with a local you probally end up with like 500 dollar a month for a nice place

Living alone atleast double

If you already have a boyfriend here, why will you be looking for a room in a shared house to meet people etc.... something doesn't add up here.

Please, there is no law that says that you need to live with your bf

Why is everyone on this board so skeptical? People come with legitimate questions and get interrogated about whether this is "real" or that things don't "add up." I have a boyfriend in Argentina and while I do love him and think he is fantastic, we have never lived in the same city together and I think we should before we take a step as big as moving in together. Also, I want to have a life and friends apart from him too. I can't imagine a quicker way to kill a relationship than to be 100% dependent on your significant other for any sort of social life.

Thanks to everyone else for the insightful comments. I know this is a big risk and at the end of the day I need to see if following my heart outweighs the money situation.

Living with your BF as someone in his mid/late 20's is overrated anyhow, the city offers a lot more if your living alone or in a shared appartement. The married life you can have everywhere, but atleast your salary would 6 times higher and your saving rate as well

Another thing to consider (and no need to answer publicly of course) - do you have debt from law school? If so, you'll be paying that in dollars on a peso salary - that would probably be a deal-breaker for me personally.

If money is the most important consideration, there are other economies that would be better bets financially as the poster above mentioned.

However, if you decide to come here:
For USD 500, with a guarantia, you can get a fine apt. Furnishing it won't be cheap but again, since you'll be working and have DNI et al, you should be able to get a local credit card & pay that cost off in quotas. I just looked at the classified and for unfurnished apts in Cap Fed w/guarnatia under 500 USD, there are more than 2100 apts listed. I'm sure you can find something :)

As for the rest - really, it's up to you. The nice thing is that as a lawyer, you're pretty much salary-banded so it's not as though spending a few years overseas will impact your salary if/when you go back.

I will say that I left NYC a few years ago and was earning a very good living but didn't have a great quality of life. I wound up taking a job with an int'l company that allows me to live here. And yes, certainly I earn less than I could have if I had stayed in NY but my quality of life is much higher due to a better work/life balance.

Good luck!

Back